X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom davicory
    • Feb 2009

diy speaker cabinet

I am in a small band, and we want to make our own speaker cabinets. We all have the not so great beginner amps (fender 15g for example, which has 38 watts, 60 hz). Would it be possible to hook up a cabinet to one of these amps? If we were to make these speakers, what should we look for when buying the speaker cones themselves i.e. does the wattage and hz have to match up, etc (I already know that I want a subwoofer and a tweeter)?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Speakers used for live sound are usually very different than those used for home audio. The differences are magnified when the available amplifier power is very low.

Sorry but no one gets a sub with a 38 watt amp.

Your best bet is to save up several hundred dollars and then revisit this idea.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alias2
      • Oct 2008

FWIW you can convert the headphone socket of the 15G to a speaker out.

If you then plug it into anything substantial, e.g. a good 2 x 12 guitar
      cabinet it will go a lot louder than using its own internal 8" speaker.

Guitar speakers do not have tweeters and are not subwoofers.
      They are basically simple, go for 12"ers. Choose open or closed back cabinet.
      (Higher Qts drivers suit open back). Choose the speaker tonality you want.
      Then choose one of 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12, they are progressively more efficient
      by 3dB as well as obviously progressively increasing total power handling.

Build a cabinet for a guitar amplifer you might intend to buy.

/alias2.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

You should check Bill Fitzmaurice's site. I can't speak first to the sound quality, but Bill has been around a long time and is respected. His site caters more to what you're looking for.

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• fork
          • Dec 2008

Generally, you don't want to play you guitar directly out of anything other than a speaker made specifically for guitar. There are plenty of these to be found. They are most 10" and 12" no subwoofer no tweeter. You also generally need an additional amplifier to drive them if you have a small amp. You could use a combo amp if it has a speaker out.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"