X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timmay1969
    • Dec 2005

Statement monitors

I am just curious as to what driver(s) would be better for the monitors instead of the Dayton. I know, more expensive, but I love the mid range/high end of this design.

I know 'better' is subjective, but bear with me.

Since I am newbie, I am not sure if changing the low end handler would require crossover changes.

BE GENTLE...
  • cacophonix
    • Feb 2006

Have you heard the statement monitors?
    I'd suggest that you listen to them first, and IF you find the low end lacking either in terms of output or quality, you can start thinking about finding a replacement.

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I'm not the expert that many other on here are, but I'd imagine if you were to choose a different driver it would require a complete crossover redesign.

Give the Daytons a shot, they sound amazing. I'm currently running my four Monitors without a sub and they hit the low end surprisingly well.
      -Chuck

Comment

• timmay1969
        • Dec 2005

I have been listening to mine for a little while now. I am going to do some manuvering to see if it is a positioning issue first.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by timmay1969
          I have been listening to mine for a little while now. I am going to do some manuvering to see if it is a positioning issue first.
          I suspect you're fighting a room issue but the solution is either build the full sized Statements or a high quality sub. The Monitors have amazing bass depth for a 7" driver but obviously don't have the impact larger drivers have.

If you want bass slam, a sub is the answer.

Jim

Comment

• timmay1969
            • Dec 2005

I have a TC-2000 15" sub with two passive radiators in the works. It will be powered by some serious rack mount Crown action.

I am putting the finishing touches on the veneer today.

I have gotten more bass by moving them. Sorry, for any offense taken. I am just trying to learn stuff. So, Jim, what other drivers are comparable? Would a crossover rework be required?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I have a TC-2000 15" sub with two passive radiators in the works. It will be powered by some serious rack mount Crown action.

I am putting the finishing touches on the veneer today.

I have gotten more bass by moving them. Sorry, for any offense taken. I am just trying to learn stuff. So, Jim, what other drivers are comparable? Would a crossover rework be required?
              No offense at all. This forum is to learn and grow in DIY speaker building. You can't do that with out asking "what if" questions.

I don't proclaim to have heard everything but I have heard comparable Scan Speak and Seas woofers. They are both excellent. If you were using the woofer above 500 Hz. the Excel and Scans would be winner without a doubt in my mind, but below 500 Hz. the RS drivers are extremely strong contenders. If I remember some of the driver tests, the RS drivers were superior below 100 Hz. Most importantly, I really don't think there would be a significant performance improvement if any at all the way the woofer is used in the Statements design. That's a SWAG but considering they're crossed at 400 Hz. or below, it gets much tougher to hear the difference between very good, well implemented drivers.

So, used correctly, I think they're very hard to beat. The one driver that I subjectively think is the best I've heard is an Accuton. It has a clarity and see through quality that is hard to describe but awesome to listen to. That said, I think the 8" Accuton driver is over $500 now. BIG MONEY!!! The smaller Accuton drivers rock too but they are also very expensive.

Yes, a crossover rebuild would be required with any of them. The bass driver is the foundation the rest of the drivers are matched to in the crossover of a 3-way.

Jim

Comment

• timmay1969
                • Dec 2005

Thanks, as always, you are a great resource. I saw the Accuton price. WHOA> They do have a cool look all their own.

The acoustics panels are DIY and my wife gets credit for finding some cool fabric. Yes, it let's the reflections through. The big panel covers an annoyingly bright window.
                I use URC lighting by Lutron via RF. IT'S AWESOME.

I need help on a center channel stand for my Statement center(next proj

Middle atlantic rack... SAWEET!
                Attached Files

Comment

• cacophonix
                  • Feb 2006

Whoaaa!! Those acoustic fabrics are amazing! Am sure my wife will have no problems with these in the room! Where did you find these? They don't look like burlap ...

Comment

• Curt C
                    • Feb 2005

I am just curious as to what driver(s) would be better for the monitors instead of the Dayton. I know, more expensive, but I love the mid range/high end of this design.

I know 'better' is subjective, but bear with me.

Since I am newbie, I am not sure if changing the low end handler would require crossover changes.

BE GENTLE...
                    I've suggested the Seas L18 and L22 as possible substitutes for the RS180 and RS 225 to those who have issues obtaining Dayton products in their countries. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, Seas doesn't make a 4-ohm L18, so they are of little help here.

What exactly is your issue, and which crossover did you implement? Perhaps there is a simpler solution...

C
                    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• timmay1969
                      • Dec 2005

Near wall implementation. Bass is good now, but I can get the dayton to puke(excursion) pretty easily. I will recheck both crossovers again.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Near wall implementation. Bass is good now, but I can get the dayton to puke(excursion) pretty easily. I will recheck both crossovers again.
                        Under what conditions are the Monitors bottoming the woofers and how big is your room? Do you have any idea what kind of SPL they're hitting when it occurs?

Jim

Comment

• timmay1969
                          • Dec 2005

I will get the info tonight after the kids are asleep.

My basement is very sound proof from the top levels.

Comment

• Curt C
                            • Feb 2005

The monitors are good for about 104 dB/2.83v/1meter. The Statements or MiniStatements can provide an additional 6 dB of max SPL.

C
                            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"