X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Question about passive radiators in full range DIY speakers

Ive "designed" a few subwofers. Aka put the TSP into Winisd and come up with a good curve and built them for friends HT systems and they all have been pretty happy. So far they have all been ported. I looked into passive radiators but it seems like its hard to get them to tune below 20hz and gets expensive as radiators in that size can run over $100 each.

However I was wondering why we haven't see more passive radiators in DIY full range designs. B&W uses them, KEF uses them as do alot of other commercial speaker manufacturers. I know that compared to a port Passive Radiators are more expensive but usually not prohibitively so in sizes around 6".

It seems to me they can be used to increase low frequency out put without having to worry about port noise or port resonant frequencies. I know that some passive radiators are as expensive as some reasoably priced active drivers and that you could forgo bass reflex all together and just build a sealed cabinet with more active drivers. However that seems like that would increase the amount of power needed to drive the speakers, increase the complexity of the crossover and make the speakers distort earlier.

I'm sure most people here know alot more than me so I'm sure there are reasons no one uses passive radiators in their full range designs, but I was wonder if there were any above the cost, which in my opinion isn't all that outrageous.
    Last edited by evilskillit; 14 February 2009, 16:31 Saturday. Reason: grammar
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

The reason is simple, pr's cost more money. I use pvc or thick cardboard tubes for ports which is pretty cheap :W
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"