X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finleyville
    • Sep 2006

Which plate amp: Dayton/Bash/O Audio?

Anyway...

I am thinking of building a modest little sealed sub. My eye is on a 240-300 watt plate amp. But which one and why?

Many have found some background hum on the $115 240W Dayton. I "think" there is some problem with subsonic filters with the $150 300W PE BASH amp. And I do not know anything about the $160 300W O Audio amp.

What have you used and what problems, if any, have you found with them.

Thanks all.
    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.
  • cyberspyder
    • Apr 2008

There several other companies you can find amps from---Apex Jr. and Keiga.

Brendan

Comment

• Notorious_AK
      • May 2008

I have 300W PE BASH amp. when playing loud it dims lights in the room with each heavy bass beat. could it be because of weak power supply? my behringer pro amp doesn't do that.

Comment

• gimpy
        • Sep 2004

My Dayton 240 watt plate amp from PE does just fine on my sealed 15 inch sub. I have never noticed any problem/hum with it.

Comment

• brent_s
          • Jun 2006

The P-E BASH-500 is the one with the rumble filter "problem". As shipped, it comes with 2dB of boost between 36-40Hz and rolloff starts around 31Hz. Can be adjusted by changing two resistors.

The P-E BASH-300 has Fc at 18 Hz and a mild 1dB of boost in the 25-30Hz range.

As far as I can tell, the P-E and OAudio 300s are functionally identical. The lowpass filters are labeled with slightly different ranges, but the unfiltered upper rolloff measured on my 315HO project strongly resembles the rolloff shown in the OAudio manual. The P-E implements the LFE (xover bypass) via separate jack while the OAudio uses a toggle switch. P-E used to put the BASH-300 on sale for $100ish a few times a year, but I haven't seen it happen lately...it's a no brainer at that price, IMO.

I've also got an SA240 running in my parents' system. There is a slight bit of hum on some outlets (it has a grounded plug), but nothing you'd hear beyond 1' or so with no signal present.

-Brent

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"