X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rvsixer
    • Sep 2008

Warning - Newbie and first project advice

I am driving myself crazy trying to select a first speaker project (been lurking and learning here for months, used the search feature a lot, and jed and cjd have appreciatively helped me with some questions). But, having never listened to any DIY speakers, I would really like to get the input of others here before ordering parts and cutting wood (scary).

Usage:
    60% HT(5.1)/40% music. Listening volumes low/medium on classical or jazz, higher on HT, and cranked on 60's-80's rock'n'roll and 80's new wave. Room is small (10.5'x11.5'x8' ceiling). Main speakers are to each side of a stand mounted 60" DLP, with a center on top of the TV. Speaker front baffles can be located anywhere between 24"-30" from front wall. A loveseat sofa is opposite the TV, centered between front speakers (either listener is within 15-20 deg on axis), and listeners ears are 24" from the back wall. I also do some background music listening on a very off axis computer hutch in the corner. Will also be upgrading receiver to support the new Blu-ray sound codecs, and possibly a separate amp for at least LRC speakers.

DIY speaker project goals:
    Towers for right and left speakers, matching center on top of TV, smallish surrounds. I am not an audiophile, but know I like clean detailed non-fatiguing sound, something a notch above my current 10 year old Paradigm Monitor setup. Tight punchy non-boomy bass, musical but enough to use to the low 20's for HT. Will also go for minimal room treatment (first reflection points, bass traps, etc).

I had preliminarily decided on jed's (Lineup D44), cjd's (RS150MTM), or Curt's TriTrix designs used with a 12" sealed sub such as the RSS315HF, as they seem to meet my needs and budget. But when I do the math, its monetarily not out of reach to go for an RS180 based MT/MTM or even the Statement Mini's/Monitors. And that is the source of my confusion, are the designs I am looking at fine for my intended purpose, are the higher priced projects "better", or maybe not even preferred due to the small room?

Also, at first I was going sealed mains crossed at about 100 with a ported sub, but the more I read it seems ported mains with an F3 around 50Hz or lower crossed as low as possible to a sealed sub might be better for my usage (sealed sub having small-room gain at the bottom end, the low crossover minimizing localization). I hope to place the sub between the rear wall and loveseat if possible.

I realize there are no absolutes regarding my questions, just looking for subjective experienced opinions and "what I would do and here is why" type of advice. Please bring up any other projects besides the ones mentioned that would fit the bill too. Sorry for being long winded ops: . And thanks to all of you designers and builders who put so much effort into making DIY available to all of us.

Rob.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Well, typically here (unlike the commercial world) the more you spend, the better the speaker.

Jed's D44 are excellent, but the tweeters are no longer available. 3 of CJD's MTM's would be very satisfying for probably 90% of the population. If you have more money, consider the Nat P, with the RS WTMW center channel. If you have even more money, then definitely do the Statements. I think people who really enjoy music would appreciate the Statements. If you just like watching things blow up on TV, then you might not appreciate it.

My Texas geography is poor, but there are a couple of pairs of Statements in Houston. I'm sure if you hunted them down, they would give you a listen.

Sealed versus ported - pick your speaker first and then decide.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• rvsixer
      • Sep 2008

Thanks ---k--- for the response, great info. You are correct the best way is to take a listen, anybody near Austin for auditions (Houston is about 3 hrs away, although if I find several of these designs there it would certainly be worth the trip)?

BTW I do enjoy music (as well as things blowing up).

Comment

• tabasc07
        • Oct 2007

I live in Houston and built Zaph's ZBM4's. It's a small speaker and was my 1st build. Although, there area few people down here that have built the Statements and Khans. We have a little yahoo group called Houston Audio Society. I think there's a few people here on HTG in Austin, but I can't remember. I haven't been here in a while.

I go to Austin every now and then to visit my friend who's into the whole home theater thing. He works in a studio and said that my ZBM4's have -in his words- "claaaarrrriiiittyyy" for such a small bargain speaker. If anything I could drop by and bring a pair of them so you could listen to them.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"