X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Opinion on DIY subwoofer

I'm helping a friend from work build a subwoofer for his home theater system. He said he was going to go to best buy and buy one for $300, so I convinced him we could build a much much better unit for about the same price. He has his own wood shop so the cabinet is going to be a piece of cake. However we want to keep the cost around $300 and probably keep the thing to a reasonable size so his wife will let him keep it in the house.

Previously I built a unit for a friend with similar goals that we have been pretty happy with. It used the Dayton 12" High Fidelity woofer in a 5 cu ft enclosure ported to about 20hz and sounded decently musical and does a good job of shaking the whole house when watching HT stuff. We used the PE 300watt Bash plate amp.

I'm trying to decide for my other friend from work if I should have him build the same thing or use the Creative Sound Solutions SDX12. They plot out about the same and the cost is about the same so the question is if anyone knows which one will actually sound better.

I know I am pretty happy with the Dayton in this setup, the SDX12 would handle more power but he won't want to spend more than enough to buy a 300watt plate amp so thats a nonpoint. However the SDX12 will be alot further away from its Xmax with the amp turned all the way up so I'm wondering if it might sound even better than the Dayton or if the RSS315HF-4 is just such a good woofer that the SDX12 would not sound any better. Oh and I've heard the O-Audio 300w plate amp is better than the PE bash so I'll probably have him order that too unless everybody here thinks otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help and or opinions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison.PNG
Views:	353
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	869493
    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 22:09 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unless pushed I doubt you'll hear much difference in those driver.

If he has the cash for the SDX12 having more Xmax is a good thing.

Yes go with the O-Audio amp.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"