X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nateadwg63
    • Jan 2009

Help with a cutsheet for a subwoofer

Howdy all...

I have a driver selected to build two 10" vented subwoofers. I have the specs for the driver and the manuf. recommended vented box size, but I do not have the proper software that will give me a cutsheet that shows the correct way to cut and where to place the driver and vents. I was hoping that a kind soul here that has way more experience than I could take a look at the specs and email me some kind of detailed cutsheet.

If there is a free program that could help me learn/do this - I would love to know what it is. This is my first sub build. I have a plan for a folded horn using subs, but I think a vented box would be easier for my first build. Plan on using two O'Audio B.A.S.H. plate amps. Was wondering if I need to hard-wire in the 30 Hz high-pass filter before I add the plate amp?

I plan on using 1/2" baltic birch cabinet grade plywood for build.

Thanks for looking.

Here are the details:

Eminence HL-10C Med Vented Subwoofer Cabinet
    By Jerry McNutt, Eminence Speaker LLC
    Thermally Limited to 300 Watts; F3 of 38 Hz. Use a steep high pass filter set to 30 Hz to protect woofer from overexcursion.

Box Properties
    --Description--
    Name:
    Type: Vented Box
    Shape: Prism, square
    --Box Parameters--
    Vb = 2 cu.ft
    V(total) = 2.325 cu.ft
    Fb = 42 Hz
    QL = 7
    F3 = 37.8 Hz
    Fill = minimal
    --Vents--
    No. of Vents = 2
    Vent shape = round
    Vent ends = one flush
    Dv = 4 in
    Lv = 15.21 in

Driver Properties
    --Description--
    Name:
    Type: Standard one-way driver
    --Configuration--
    No. of Drivers = 1
    --Driver Parameters--
    Fs = 43.5 Hz
    Qms = 2.8
    Vas = 19.8 liters
    Xmax = 11.1 mm
    Sd = 334.5 sq.cm
    Qes = 0.32
    Re = 3.7 ohms
    Le = 1.6 mH
    Z = 4 ohms
    Pe = 300 watts

Specification:
    Nominal Basket Diameter - 10"/254 mm
    Nominal Impedance* - 4 ohms
    Power Rating**
    Watts - 300W
    Music Program - 600W
    Resonance - 44 Hz
    Usable Frequency Range*** - 38 Hz-125 Hz
    Sensitivity - 88
    Magnet Weight - 112 oz
    Gap Height - .375"/9.53 mm
    Voice Coil Diameter - 2.5"/63.5 mm

Thiele & Small Parameters:
    Resonant Frequency (fs) - 44 Hz
    DC Resistance (Re) - 3.70
    Coil Inductance (Le) - 160 mH
    Mechanical Q (Qms) - 2.80
    Electromagnetic Q (Qes) - .32
    Total Q (Qts) - .29
    Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) - 19.8l/0.7 cu ft
    Peak Diaphragm Displacement Volume (Vd) - 18.3 T-M
    Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) - .13 mm/N
    BL Product (BL) - 109 grams
    Diaphragm Mass inc. Airload (Mms) - 136
    Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP) - 136
    Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) - 11.1 mm
    Surface Area of Cone (Sd) - 334.5 cm/2
    Maximum Mechanical Limit (Xlim) - 22 mm

Mounting Information:
    Recommended Enclosure Volume
    Sealed - N/A
    Vented - 51-62 l/1.8 - 2.2 cu ft
    Overall Diameter - 10.7"/272 mm
    Baffle Hole Diameter - 9.4"/239 mm
    Front Sealing Gasket - fitted as standard
    Rear Sealing Gasket - fitted as standard
    Mounting Holes Diameter - .26"/6.6 mm
    Mounting Holes B.C.D. - 10.13"/257.3 mm
    Depth - 5.2"/132 mm

* Please inquire about alternative impedances.
    ** Multiple units exceed published rating evaluated under EIA 426A noise source and test standard while in a free-air, nontemperature-controlled environment.
    *** The average output across the usable frequency range when applying 1W/1m into the nominal impedance. Ie: 2.83 V/8 ohms, 4 V/16 ohms.
    Eminence response curves are measured under the following conditions: All speakers are tested at 1W/1m using a variety of test set-ups for the appropriate impedance | LMS using 0.25" supplied microphone (software
    calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle | 2 ft. X 2 ft. baffle is built into the wall with the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction | Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amplifier | 2700 cu.ft. chamber with
    fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-made wedges)

Nate
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

What do you want to use the sub for? 38Hz is a very high cutoff for a home sub. It sounds more suitable for PA use where you don't really need to play very low. Do you already have the drivers? Again, the 44Hz Fs of the driver is very high for home use.

Comment

• HareBrained
      • Jul 2008

I modeled the driver in Unibox and it's not pretty in that box. It has a 5db rise at the Fb (30Hz, which was derived from playing with the data to replicate the port). Cone excursion really isn't a problem, but the HP@30Hz was obviously used to tame this peak.

You could do a 30L @ 30Hz (4"x30" port, I'd go with a slot port as it'd be easier to fit) for an F3~26Hz and SPL@300W of ~108db. Or you could do 30L @ 35Hz (4x22 port) for an F3~30Hz and SPL of ~110db. Both of these alignments will sound much better then the original box, unless you listen to only rap and enjoy one-note thumping.

These boxes assume you'll be using the active LP @ ~80Hz.

As for the recommended box, the V(total) accounts for driver and port displacements plus the volume. It probably doesn't account for the plate amp displacement, assuming they're going in the boxes. You'll need to get that from the manufacturer and add that to 2.325cf. You also need to calculate the volume of the bracing to be used and add that too, before you'll now how big the pieces you'll need.

I would strongly recommend either thicker MDF, doubling up on the 0.5" ply, or laminating the ply over 0.75" MDF. You will need substantial bracing inside the enclosure with only 0.5" ply.
      John

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

I checked those drivers at PE and they are $130 each. IF you're looking for a home sub and IF you don't have the drivers yet, you can do much better for the money. If you already have the drivers we can try to help you make the best of them.

Comment

• stangbat
          • Jan 2008

I have nothing to add regarding the design but there is a free application to generate a cutsheet available here:

It is kind of clunky, but it does work. I've used it for several projects.

Comment

• Nateadwg63
            • Jan 2009

No, don't have the drivers yet. I looked at those because I have used Eminence drivers before for a PA speaker build. I am certainly open to other suggestions, esp if they have detailed plans posted already.

I want to use them for strictly HT use, watch ALOT of blu-ray and DVDs and also subscribe to every movie channel avail on my cable system - not really into 2-channel as much now... have a teenager and bad arthritis, so we just watch alot of movies.

I would like to do a pair because I am planning on building a 7.1 system using the single driver design over at zaphaudio, and John recommends dual 8" or 10" subs with his design. This is what he says about suitable subs.

"There are a few setup details to really help this system integrate with a single or dual sub. First, if using a HT receiver, set the crossover to 150 hz if you can. Then, set your sub's plate amp crossover to 150hz too. As a result you get the natural 2nd order driver rolloff with the plate amp 2nd order rolloff to assist the HT receiver rolloff (usually 4th order but sometimes only 2nd) to an effective tall order slope, usually around 6th order.

With mains this small and the high crossover points they require, two separate left and right subs are the best route. Dual subs don't need to be stereo, mono is fine. You could have one 8 ohm sub with a plate amp, and another outboard 8 ohm sub wired in parallel with it for use on the other side. This arrangement will offer excellent integration at high crossover points."

Just want something that is not too complicated to build, thats why I thought of a ported design. Any suggestions are welcome... I am open to using a external active xover and pro amp instead of plate amps also. If I can build the 7.2 system fairly cheap, I can justify those components.

Nate

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Okay, considering you want to cross at 150, I'd recommend the Dayton reference series subs, either the 12" or the 15". Many subs have a problem playing as high as 150 but the Daytons are great up there. A pair of the 15" in small sealed boxes will play much lower and much louder than the 10" you were considering. They will easily play down into the low 20s. The boxes won't be too much bigger than what you were considering, will be even easier to build than ported and the drivers don't cost too much more. Sealed boxes also don't need a highpass filter to protect them from low frequencies.

Edit: you can save some money on amps if you buy a single Behringer EP2500 instead of a pair of plate amps.

Last edited by Dennis H; 05 February 2009, 21:47 Thursday.

Comment

• Nateadwg63
                • Jan 2009

Thanks... I will put the 15's and the amp on my to do list... I will search a few forums and see if I can find a set of sealed plans w/bracing etc already in use.

Nate

Comment

• HareBrained
                  • Jul 2008

The 10" RSS265HF is on sale for $105. A pair would do nicely in all but the largest of rooms.

You may want to rethink the 150Hz as voices have a fundamental harmonic as low as 85Hz. Just a thought.
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"