X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobhowell
    • Jul 2008

surround design idea

I have been watching movies and DVD's with my new surround system for 6 months now and the whole family is wowed by it. I just made a pair of surrounds from Zaph's HiVi B3N design and am impressed with the sound and simplicity.

I have read a lot about how surround is designed to work and the coming of 7.1 as superior to 5.1, but I don't see it. First off you have to go with Bluray , which does not seem worth the trouble. Second, in my livingroom 5.1 is all I think I need, and , with the couch against the wall, I've no place to put the rear pair. We are not listening to music here, but sound effects. Sure stereo speakers will work, but wouldn't you get good effects, in a small room, with a single speaker, with multiple drivers, firing in different directions?
    Full range seems to be all you need, and the B3N or even a 4ohm Aura Sound would work fine. To keep impedance in limits, you could have 2 B3N's firing one way, and 2, another.

I'm thinking of 2 Aura sound NS4, 4Ohm, wired in series, with any filter. No filter because I don't know how to design one and for random sound effects, I don't think it is essential.

Pleas comment on my plans.

Thanks

Bob
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

I have a few concert SACD and DVDs that I like. They have a lot of music in the rear channel. So for me, I like quality rears. But, I've heard may other people make the same arguments that your making.

Cheap to try. If you don't like it, not much lost.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Undefinition
      • Dec 2006

A guy named DougP on the Parts Express board did a project very similar to what you're talking about. He did a sort of convex baffle (think of half an octagon) with four NS4s firing outward, all in-phase. For a while, he used Zaph's filter on them, but eventually found that with amount comb filtering happening, the speakers sounded better without the electrical filter. He brought them to InDIYana 2008. They looked really cool, and they actually sounded all right.

I wish I could find pictures of them, but a search of the PE site, or a simple post asking him for pictures will dig it up.

Hope that helps.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• bobhowell
        • Jul 2008

Thanks for the info. I will follow it up.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"