X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PacoX
    • Aug 2008

RS150 MTM w/ RSS265 bass bins

I currently have a pair of Wayne J's "U-Pee" design, which is an unfortunately named MT combo of a Peerless 6.5" mid and an Usher 9950 (http://wyrdone.org/projects/homethea...ee-Zombie.html. I'm running them with a Shiva 12" sub and a PE 250W plate amp, with a Panny XR25 handling the mains and processing duties. I've had the sub and mains for about 5 years and I want something different and better.

I use the setup for music, movies, casual listening, etc, and the music I listen to is mostly hip hop, so having the lowest distortion and perfect midrange is pretty pointless. The XR25 limits me to a highpass of 100 or 150 Hz for the mains, so I'm thinking that going with bass bins would decrease localization issues from crossing high and allow me to have more midbass. Currently, I either run the MTs fullrange and bottom the mids like crazy on movies or when I play music louder, or I cross them at 100 and the sub makes it's presence known over to the side with some midbass frequencies

I was considering building a pair of the RS150/H1212 MTMs as a sealed tower with a large lower section for a side-firing RSS265. I could ditch the plate amp and get a Behringer A500 to give each of them a few hundred watts, as I believe the XR25 lowpasses the sub wherever you set the highpass for the mains. Is this correct? The documentation is terrible for it. Would a sealed pair of RS150 MTMs crossed at 100 or even 150 Hz be able to get pretty loud without bottoming? I don't usually listen at obscene SPL levels, but the Peerless/Usher MTs aren't too pleased when I decide to crank it.

Thanks for any input, I realize how annoying these "make a decision for me" threads are. I just want to be sure I'm headed in the right direction.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 04 February 2009, 18:30 Wednesday. Reason: fix link
  • Xander
    • Dec 2007

I have built those RS150 MTMs, sealed. I'm not sure how loud you listen...but I cross at 80hz and have cranked it a few times. I have never had bottoming issues, always sounds clear as day, even on music.

If you do build them, send me a PM. I have done a lot of experimenting with different foam, deadener, and stuffing to get them to sound their best and would love to share. I'll probably just post in the thread eventually though.

Last night I got a comment from a good friend (who is a live FOH mixer, as am I). He said "your speakers scare me." It was after a gunshot on the movie Lord of War.

Comment

• PacoX
      • Aug 2008

Thanks, sounds good.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

They're not excursion limited when sealed and crossed 80Hz or higher (well, not nearly so much)

My comments have always been about limits in the rather low-tuned ported version I have. The Khanspire is essentially an RS150 based MTM with RS225's as woofage, not the RS265.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• PacoX
          • Aug 2008

The Khans actually looked really good, but required too much space and $ at this point. I'd love some big sealed 3way towers crossed to a sub down low someday though.

How much volume do the RS150s need if sealed and crossed at 100 or higher? I recall reading that they're picky in the midrange WRT box volume & stuffing.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"