X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Need ideas for repairing torn paper driver

Unfortunately, I have a very expensive treated paper driver (PHL) that was inadvertently torn (see photo). I'm wondering if it there is a relatively easy repair that will keep it usable. The tear is a jagged V-shape, but can be pushed back into place and virtually disappear, so I'm hoping it can simply be glued back together with the appropriate adhesive.

Does anyone have any recommendations to fix this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0235-a.webp
Views:	24
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	943278
    Last edited by theSven; 27 June 2023, 20:58 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    Dan N.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

You can try gluing it, just be careful not to get glue on the spider or voice coil assembly.

As long as the glue makes an airtight seal and the cone remains sufficiently rigid it should work fine.

If not, there are companies that can recone drivers.

Is that a midrange driver?

Comment

• dlneubec
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

They are PHL 2520's, a high efficeincy midrange.
      Dan N.

Comment

• dlneubec
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Any thoughts on the type of glue?
        Dan N.

Comment

• Paul W
          • Oct 2004

I'd try the thin superglue to achieve precise positioning and some penetration...followed by a thin layer of the gel type superglue to add just a bit of beef at the junction.
          Paul

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

See if they will recone it for you.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

The PE speaker glue pretty much sticks to everything.

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Give this company a call and ask for their AKP with a bottle of AKPA activator, this is more than likely what that driver was assembled with. You can glue the edges of the tear, put it in place and spray the activator on, it will set instantly. I have repaired many torn cones with this stuff, its great to have around.

Company name is WVS and the phone # is 260-424-5463
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• alias2
                  • Oct 2008

Do not under any circumstances go anywhere near superglue.

I've done several repairs of this sort using PVA wood glue (and tissue).
                  By the look of the tear it should be easy, apply PVA along the seam.
                  Tease the torn segment back into position, tissue should not be needed.
                  Any excess glue can be wiped off, cleaned off with a damp Q-tip.
                  PVA on the front or back surface is not needed, the point is
                  to wet the torn edges of the seam and bring them together.
                  A near invisible repair should be possible, it will be very usable.

Its possible the cone is also sealed against moisture by the coating
                  and there may be little unsealed gaps, I've never dealt with this.
                  Waterproof (external) PVA would help, possibly thinned with water.
                  If its just appearance possibly a fine brush and little clear nail varnish
                  or something similar, though I think the PVA repair wiil look good enough.

(FWIW superglue give you no time to get it right, smooth it or remove it.
                  Its also a little known fact superglue is hydroscopic and under external
                  conditions will eventually dissolve/fail. It is also too stiff and can crack.)

/alias2

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"