X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    • Jan 2009

Statements in the Twin Cities?

Hello,

I just migrated to this board from another in my search for a new design to build. I've previously built Joe D'Appolito's Audax system, and love them very much. But now I'd like to upgrade the cabinets to something nicer (especially now that I have more experience in woodworking), and get something better.

Problem is, although I took a leap of faith if you will with the Audax set, I want to make sure I'm at least trading up, and not getting a design I won't like as much.

So I was just wondering if there are any users here in the Twin Cities metro that have built either the Mini Statements or the Monitors...

Then again, I wouldn't mind hearing other designs- like something from clearwave or something featured on the PE website (I know that Joe has another system on their DIY project list, but it's slightly out of my budget, and requires the use of curved cabinets- which I don't know how I would build).

So yeah, I would appreciate any help I could get. OR, if anyone's heard both the Audax design and the statements or another design.

Thanks!
  • mpotoka
    • Sep 2007

I just moved from the Twin Cities last August. I would have been able to let you listen to the Modula MTs. I too built a set of the audax HT (L/R/C and 4 surrounds) and it was my first "leap of faith" into the DIY market. I was very impressed with how much of an improvement even the Modula MTs were over the Audax. From what I have heard the Audax drivers just didn't offer near the kind of performance that some of the more modern drivers (like the Dayton Reference line) can deliver. Nothing against the design of the Audax speakers (the center channel was really the prize of the set) I think they were just outdated.

From what I have read about the statements--and having some experience with some other designs--I would guess people are going to tell you the Statements are just in a completely different league. If anything they might discourage you from building them because it doesn't leave you with a lot of room upgrade in the future (which is only a bad thing once you have been bitten with the DIY bug)

Comment

• BigguyZ
      • Jan 2009

Too bad I didn't post this earlier!

Anyone else have a good design that they wouldn't mind me auditioning in the area? I'm most interested in the Statements, but I'm open to other options.

Thanks!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

If you want to take a 3 1/2 hour road trip south to balmy Iowa , You're welcome to listen to mine. I of course also have the Mini's and the Monitors to compare.

Jim

Comment

• BigguyZ
          • Jan 2009

Don't tempt me!

Yeah, that's probably a little too far out of my way....

I might just have to take a leap of faith...

Comment

• savage25xtreme
            • Dec 2008

Jim,

I'm still kicking myself for not contacting you when I was in Pella. :banghead: I would love to hear a set of Statements before I build them
            Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
              Jim,

I'm still kicking myself for not contacting you when I was in Pella. :banghead: I would love to hear a set of Statements before I build them
              Sounds like a road trip is in order.

Jim

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                Sounds like a road trip is in order.

Jim
                It will be some time before I make that 11 hour drive again...especially during the winter months. :M I'll take a few spring time twisters over snow and ice any day...

Maybe during the IowaDIY event I'll stop by...

My apologizes to the OP for adding nothing worthwhile to his thread.
                Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Brian Walter
                  • Sep 2005

BigguyZ, I live in the Twin Cities and have the RSWWMT 3 way design listed in the Mission Accomplished section. Look for my post under that thread dated 6/25/06 for a picture of them. I would be willing to let you listen to them and I can honestly say that the Mini-Statements sound slightly better, but with slightly less powerful bass. But the mini's do go a little deeper because they are ported where as the RSWWMT is a sealed design.

Send me a PM if you are interested in listening to them. Actually I may also be selling them as they won't fit too well into my family room after a future fireplace install is completed.

Brian Walter

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"