X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Empyrials
    • Nov 2007

Finding a Center Channel that will Fit

Hey guys i did lots of research over a year ago before i decided to join the military, which delayed my plans to make my speakers. Now i have the garage, tools, and time so i'd like to get started

I just got a nice 61"DLP TV, and all of the stands i can find can't fit the center channel i picked out a year ago Sooo... i'll go the other route of finding a center channel that will fit my stand.

I was looking at the sticky at the top there about most of the models available and wasn't liking my options so i'm hoping for some suggestions.

a pic of the T and Stand (NOT MINE)
    Reciever: Onkyo 605

DIY list (as of a year ago) Fits my budget of about 1k, give or take a couple hundred lol
    Front - Natalie P
    Center - Dayton RS WMTW Center Size: 26"Wx12.5"Hx16D way to wide and deep
    Rears - Modula MT's
    Sub - Tempest-X 15"

The space i have to fit a center in is:
    W:22"
    H:13"
    D:14-14.5"

The list i saw of centers that might work...Please add one if i missed it or if one can be modified to fit
    • Statements Center - Price is a little high and 2" to wide, if mod'd would it kill this design?
      Size: 24"Wx11"Hx13.75"D
    • Modula NeoD CC -too pricey but can't find the budget BOM that supposedly exists?
      Size: 22"Wx9"Hx13.5"D

what's my best option?
    Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 18:31 Thursday. Reason: Update URLs for htguide
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There is no budget NeoDcc nor will one be created. Since Vifa discontinued the D26 tweeter it's impossible to build this speaker. Jon and I are looking at alternative tweeters.

There is no BOM for the Modula MTM center. Finding the cost of the components isn't a big deal given it's basically a Modula MTM with a MUCH more expen$ive tweeter...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BigguyZ
      • Jan 2009

Forgive me for asking, but isn't this a bit mish-mashy? I thought the best solution is to stay with the same or similar design for the LCR and rears fot voice matching. Maybe the surrounds can be different if you're just doing HT, but I would imagine you'd want at least the LCR to be from the same series...

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Matching would be best especially for the designs using ribbon tweeters.

Either the Modula center or Chris' center will match the NatPs

All the Maxx designs use the now unavailable Vifa D26 tweeter

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Have you considered putting a shelf over top of the TV and using any center channel you want? I think people constrain themselves a bit too much (myself included) with trying to fit a center channel in those stupid little holes.

I would say the Statement center should be out, because it needs the open back. And, because the drivers are different.

The Khancenter almost fits your space requirements at: 10.875"Hx23.5"Wx19"D. I made it 19" deep, but it doesn't need to be this deep. Very little is given up by making it smaller. But, I think it is still a hair too wide, and it just isn't possible to make it narrower.

Of your limited options, I would probably go with CJD's MTM or a phantom center.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Empyrials
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            Forgive me for asking, but isn't this a bit mish-mashy? I thought the best solution is to stay with the same or similar design for the LCR and rears fot voice matching. Maybe the surrounds can be different if you're just doing HT, but I would imagine you'd want at least the LCR to be from the same series...
            ya... i'm a newb. Everything is changeable but the TV as it's actually sitting in the house lol

Originally posted by ThomasW
            Matching would be best especially for the designs using ribbon tweeters.

Either the Modula center or Chris' center will match the NatPs

All the Maxx designs use the now unavailable Vifa D26 tweeter
            ok since i don't know what's in and what's out... are Natalie P's still good? is there's something better in the 1k pricerange? and you both mentioned Chris's Center would be decent, with the Nat's. What would be best?

Originally posted by ---k---
            Have you considered putting a shelf over top of the TV and using any center channel you want? I think people constrain themselves a bit too much (myself included) with trying to fit a center channel in those stupid little holes.

I would say the Statement center should be out, because it needs the open back. And, because the drivers are different.

The Khancenter almost fits your space requirements at: 10.875"Hx23.5"Wx19"D. I made it 19" deep, but it doesn't need to be this deep. Very little is given up by making it smaller. But, I think it is still a hair too wide, and it just isn't possible to make it narrower.

Of your limited options, I would probably go with CJD's MTM or a phantom center.
            yes i have however the tv's in the corner(ish) halfway in front of a window. + i'm renting so i'd find it harder to make a shelf that didn't have bracing on the walls above the tv. When the time comes when i buy a house, oh hell yes i'll be making some sort of theater and then i can sell mine to my friends and make whatever i want. I enjoy stuff like this, however i'm only to the point of following the directions, lol, though i like do build stuff and do it all myself. So i'm sure whatever setup i go with will just be my first and not my last.

Comment

• Bear
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Empyrials
              too pricey but can't find the budget BOM that supposedly exists
              As Thomas indicates, this probably doesn't do you any good, but since I have the link handy, here is where it was (briefly) discussed:

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
              Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 18:34 Thursday. Reason: Update URL for htguide
              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

ok since i don't know what's in and what's out... are Natalie P's still good? is there's something better in the 1k pricerange? and you both mentioned Chris's Center would be decent, with the Nat's. What would be best?
                The NatP remains the most popular design on this forum. They are quite good. The Modula MTM's are better but more expensive.

Consider the idea of starting out with the NatP then moving them to surround duty and upgrading the mains when you have your own place.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• sokoban
                  • Apr 2006

Since Vifa discontinued the D26 tweeter it's impossible to build this speaker. Jon and I are looking at alternative tweeters.
                  Well, I think meniscus still has some and I saw one for sale on another forum. The guy still has it I think.

But yeah, there will be no new ones made unfortunately

Comment

• Empyrials
                    • Nov 2007

The NatP remains the most popular design on this forum. They are quite good. The Modula MTM's are better but more expensive.

Consider the idea of starting out with the NatP then moving them to surround duty and upgrading the mains when you have your own place.
                    ok thanks, i guess i'll go with the CJD RS150 MTM for the center for now. My upgrade will be the MTM setup fronts and center, but thats later on after i get the hang of this stuff. thanks again :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sokoban
                      Well, I think meniscus still has some
                      They were sold out as of monday when I called them..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Yeah, well, we know who the SOB was responsible for that....

Seas equivalent is on the way to evaluate.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                          Yeah, well, we know who the SOB was responsible for that....

Seas equivalent is on the way to evaluate.
                          Hi Jon! It's great to see you post again. I hope your workload has slowed a bit so you can hang out here more often. We miss your input and designs.

Jim

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Well, my travel is being cut back a lot in the current circumstances, and that will free up some weekend time and modify my workload. So, I'm sticking my toe back in the water to see how it goes- things have been doing great here with all the many contributors (you included!), so if I can find the time I'll have a lot of back reading to catch up with! Like going back to a popular TV series that you've missed the last two seasons!

~jon
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul W
                              • Oct 2004

Great to see you back in circulation Jon!

(and I don't mean in holding patterns near airports )
                              Paul

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

Whoa! Who are you stranger and how did you hijack Jon's account?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

I'm like one of those characters in a TV series that gets written out of the story arc for a season or so, like the Scottish doctor on Stargate, then re-appears one day as a result of an improbable plot twist, looking a little confused and needing to get up to date, but not much worse for the wear....
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• hawkfan
                                    • Feb 2007

ok thanks, i guess i'll go with the CJD RS150 MTM for the center for now. My upgrade will be the MTM setup fronts and center, but thats later on after i get the hang of this stuff. thanks again :T
                                    You won't be disappointed. I just built the sealed RS28A version and was surprised by its output and ability to go low. Off axis response wasn't that bad either considering it's a horizontal MTM. Not bad at all for a relatively low priced speaker.

***EDIT*** I'm running the CJD center along with some Nat P's

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"