X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

Seas D1001-04 L26ROY

Like a heavyweight fighter in ballet shoes, 14mm xmax and 0,53mH Le! :B

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=238&Item id=223

Click image for larger version

Name:	design_by_seas_10_inch_subwoofer.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	944525
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 10:32 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

A real subwoofer. The surround is not glued very precise to the cone, I would expect that for its price ~200 euro's/ piece.

Comment

• tktran
      • Jan 2005

Is it just me, or is the frame dimensions, depth and screw hole cutouts EXACTLY the same as the 10" X/XLS?

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by tktran
        Is it just me, or is the frame dimensions, depth and screw hole cutouts EXACTLY the same as the 10" X/XLS?
        Yep, it seems like the Seas will fit perfectly in place of the XLS. 8) Maybe it could be an upgrade for the Orion? :P

Madisound sell them for $217 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8535

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Klippel-designed motor too! :T

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

What is the purpose of the rubber cap on the magnet? I have the same thing on my Excel W12CY-003.
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It's primarily cosmetic, it also protects the magnet...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Face
                What is the purpose of the rubber cap on the magnet? I have the same thing on my Excel W12CY-003.
                According to John Stone at Seas it started when the cupper coating on the Excel series were ditched for environmentally reasons. I guess a rubber cap looks better than raw steel finish... :B

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

Ok, now I don't feel so bad about removing mine.

To keep things on topic, I wish this woofer was available two months ago. Besides requiring a smaller cabinet and having better bass control, would there be any other advantages to using this woofer over the Prestige L26RFX/P? http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=822

The only negative I see is less sensitivity.

Comment

• jkrutke
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    It's primarily cosmetic, it also protects the magnet...
                    Good comment about the protection... I've had enough Seas woofers where I've chipped the magnet a tiny bit and the chip flies directly into the magnet gap. Grrr. All magnets should have these rubber boots, I love them.

Sexy looking woofer, I'm sure it performs excellently.
                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• tktran
                      • Jan 2005

I prefer the copper plated magnet systems of old, though this looks like a nice subwoofer.

In the car audio world, the rubber boots are the norm rather than the exception. For car audio nuts, protection is a good idea. But they also serve to give the illusion that the magnet is bigger than it actually is.

The copper plated magnet systems on the original Excel look lush and protect the magnet. I doubt it was replaced for "environmental" reasons.
                      Without a doubt it cut production costs.

Excel W26 woofer-

Click image for larger version

Name:	W26FX-001_2.webp
Views:	26
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	944526

regards,
                      Thanh.
                      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 10:33 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Davey
                        • Jan 2003

According to John Stone, SEAS ran into some kind of environmental regulations in Norway that forced them to discontinue the copper plating. It was used for cosmetic reasons only.

I like the boots also. I cut my finger on sharp edge of a magnet one time when I wasn't watching what I was doing.

Dave.

Comment

• Face
                          • Mar 2007

I know nobody here has tried these yet, but any opinions on using these in a three way crossed at 300-350?

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Face
                            I know nobody here has tried these yet, but any opinions on using these in a three way crossed at 300-350?
                            I think that should work well as long as you have an amp stable into a 3ohm minimum impedance. You could always go for a pair in series to avoid that issue. The nice thing about this woofer is that it seems to like small enclosures.

Comment

• Face
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                              I think that should work well as long as you have an amp stable into a 3ohm minimum impedance. You could always go for a pair in series to avoid that issue. The nice thing about this woofer is that it seems to like small enclosures.
                              My current amp would have no problem, but a pair in series would be a good idea in case I go back to tubes.

The small enclosure size is a big plus for me, especially if two are to be used per cabinet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• norcad
                                • Jun 2008

Why is the low Le a good thing? I understand that it says something about a good motor, but what is the meaning of the Le-value?

Beacuse of the low Re it will be a good thing to use two in series, but then the Le would be doubled, so is that better still than a driver with higher Re and the same Le as two of this in series?

Just wondering

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by norcad
                                  Why is the low Le a good thing? I understand that it says something about a good motor, but what is the meaning of the Le-value?

Beacuse of the low Re it will be a good thing to use two in series, but then the Le would be doubled, so is that better still than a driver with higher Re and the same Le as two of this in series?

Just wondering
                                  Low Le for that much excursion indicates the motor is pretty good. That also enables the bandwidth to be greater making it possible for 3-way use versus being limited to only subwoofer designs.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"