X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianpowers27
    • Feb 2009

Masonite - Lining a vented enclosure

I notice that our local Menards stocks masonite board.

--How well would this work for lining the interior of a vented enclosure?
    --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
    --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
    --The Speaker DIY resource Database
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It will stiffen and add mass to the enclosure.

It's not an acoustical damping material like fiberglass or polyfill.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brianpowers27
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
      It will stiffen and add mass to the enclosure.

It's not an acoustical damping material like fiberglass or polyfill.
      When I was at Menards the product they were selling said that it is great for sound reduction on interior walls. Is it possible the product I am thinking about is not Masonite? Maybe I was thinking of rock wool / mineral wool... I had better go back to the store and find out (:
      --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
      --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
      --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Masonite is a hardboard usually sold in 1/8" & 1/4" thicknesses (think pegboard without the holes). The dark Masonite has been tempered so it's stiffer than the regular HDF

If you want to soundproof a room covering the walls with Masonite will help, but it's a $pendy way go compared to other options.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"