X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KevinRoach
    • Jan 2009

Question about Zaph 3.5 Tower Design

Hello, i'm pretty new to DIY speakers but I'm eager to learn and ready to rock.

I'm just about ready to start building the Zaph 3.5 design as it looks like the best bang for my buck. It might not be the easiest choice for a beginner DIY project, but I'm confident I can manage.

I have a few questions so i hope some of you can answer or direct me to some answers.

First: What is the black part(Baffle?) made out of on the design? Is that MDF also?

Second: Are there any photos of finished crossovers of the towers out there?(I found some for the center channel)

Third: Can I make them as tall as I want without messing up the sound? Thanks for any info!
    Last edited by KevinRoach; 01 February 2009, 03:30 Sunday.
  • HareBrained
    • Jul 2008

First Answer: Yes, but you're welcome to use some other woods. Finishing is a big part (time and money) to building a speaker. Many people use many different methods and materials. Keep researching.

Second Answer: There are many documented builds in this forum. I'd be surprised if there were any xover pics to be found. Maybe someone will post a link for you.

Third Answer: You can make them taller, but keep the relative positions of the drivers the same. And keep the baffle and cabinet width the same. And keep the spacing from the top the same.

Good luck with the build. Your efforts will be rewarded.
    John

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Crossovers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	zdt3-center-crossover.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	944118
      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 14:09 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• KevinRoach
        • Jan 2009

Awesome thanks for the reply/picture! The crossover will be a challenge but the pic will help

Comment

• HeatMiser
          • Apr 2006

That pic happens to be from my build based on the previous iteration of the ZDT3, the one designed for the Aura tweeter. Also it's the reduced baffle step version (I made a single sealed center channel as my first project). I'm not sure if there are major differences between the Aura-based crossover and the current ND20-based version beyond component values, but the reduced baffle step versions of either crossover omit an inductor and a capacitor in the woofer circuit, rendering the whole thing a 3-way instead of a 3.5 way.

Also I chose to split the crossover between woofer/tweeter on one board and midrange on the other board, to keep them manageable sizes and still be able to put some distance between the inductors.

I only bring this up because I don't want the differences to cause you any confusion down the line. Yep, you may notice some parts unaccounted for.
          Paul G

Comment

• KevinRoach
            • Jan 2009

Oh ok sounds good thanks. The picture will help with general assembly, I'll follow the original design as best I can.

Comment

• Blktre
              • Apr 2008

The only thing id say about making your towers taller that your seating position height should be relative to the tweeter axis.

Here are my x-over pics that stangbat bat helped me with...I also highly recommend using the 2ohm resistor on the tweeter as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossoverLarge.webp
Views:	27
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	944119
              Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 14:10 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• stangbat
                • Jan 2008

Here is the wiring behind what blktre posted. Red follows positive to a component. White is ground to a component. Blue is a run straight to positive.

Image not available

Thumbnail to a larger image:

Image not available

Here is the Center. I did my best to get them as compact as possible:

Image not available

If you make them taller, I wouldn't make the tweeter much higher than ear level when you are sitting down. The Zs tend to lobe upwards with the upper mids/treble. See the graphs on the design page. You can definitely tell this if you move your listening position from below the mid to above the tweeter.

As blktre said, the 2 ohm resistors are now pretty much a must on the tweeters. You may even want to go with 2.5 depending on your taste and room. There is a post about this in Zaph's blog.
                Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 14:11 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"