X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CAAD
    • Jan 2009

How does one determine desired dB?

I've read enough of this forum to know that when I ask for suggestions on which speaker best suits my needs I will be asked how loud I want them to play.

I do have an RS SPL meter. Do I simply place my current setup in the location, turn up the volume until I say, "Darn, that's plenty loud," then record the number? If, so do I play music, a certain frequency, or other?
    Also, can I use this same number for the +-20Hz area when determining the amount of woofage I need, or does it vary across the frequency range?

Thanks for attending to my n00bish question,
    Chris
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Set your meter to C-weighted, slow (average) measurements. Place it 1 meter in front of one of your speakers. Play music at your favourite volume, record the db level.

The db level your speaker is producing at that point is actually your measured level less room gain less contribution from the other speaker, but that measurement will allow some knowledgable comments about your speaker volume needs from folks here.

Your speakers should have a flat response, so your subwoofer(s) should be capable of producing the same db level as your overall volume at low frequencies (maybe not down to 20 Hz unless you're going big )

Paul

Comment

• CAAD
      • Jan 2009

Thank you. I think that's exactly what I was asking. As long as I have enough info for the folks here to discern whether the NatP's will do the job, or if I should step up to the Statements, I'm good.

Chris

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Paul H
        Set your meter to C-weighted, slow (average) measurements. Place it 1 meter in front of one of your speakers. Play music at your favourite volume, record the db level.

The db level your speaker is producing at that point is actually your measured level less room gain less contribution from the other speaker, but that measurement will allow some knowledgable comments about your speaker volume needs from folks here.

Your speakers should have a flat response, so your subwoofer(s) should be capable of producing the same db level as your overall volume at low frequencies (maybe not down to 20 Hz unless you're going big )

Paul
        So are you looking for 80 as reference level?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wettou
          So are you looking for 80 as reference level?
          Paul makes no reference to a specific level

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"