Clear All
  • *B*
    • Nov 2007

Anyone want to help design a new 3-way?

Just about done collecting the drivers I want to use. They are:
    Vifa XT25
    Seas M15-CH001
    CSS SDX7

I dont have the SDX7 yet as I want to only use one per channel for financial reasons, but think two might be better. What are your thoughts?

And I chose these drivers mainly based on me liking the sound of the Seas M15, and found the other drivers to match aesthetics (the XT25 have a copper phase plug as well). So I dont know how these will sound together, but would like some help on crossover design and maybe a few ideas for an enclosure. This is gonna be a slow project as I am quite busy right now. But would like to get it started.

Thanks
  • b_force
    • Jun 2008

I should use a 10 of 8 inch instead of some SDX7.

The SDX does perform very well, but can just not take very low frequencies at high volumes.
    But it all depends what your goals are, if you want to make just a really small 3-way system, this could be a solution.

In this thread there are some measurements of the SDX7

I added another test from a magazine where the SDX7 was tested at 90dB.

Comment

• *B*
      • Nov 2007

Awesome thanks.
      Any particular 8 inchers you would recommend? I am trying to keep this somewhat smaller, but open to exporing other possibilities.

Comment

• b_force
        • Jun 2008

If you want to keep it small, use a Peerless HDS or so.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
          • Jul 2007

What are the voltage sensitivities of the various drivers? Are you going active or passive?

Comment

• *B*
            • Nov 2007

The sensitivities are:
            XT25 - 91.1db (2.83v/1m)
            M15 - 90.0db (1w/1m)
            SDX7 - 85.0db (1w/1m)

And I'd like to go passive

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Mount the drivers in the baffle where they will be used.

Take measurements of the frequency response and impedance with the drivers in the baffles.

Import that data into a crossover design program and go from there...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by *B*
                The sensitivities are:
                XT25 - 91.1db (2.83v/1m)
                M15 - 90.0db (1w/1m)
                SDX7 - 85.0db (1w/1m)

And I'd like to go passive
                Assuming a monopole design, you're not going to get a very sensitive speaker. Is the nominal sensitivity of the SDX7 85dB? If so - after you apply typical baffle step compensation, you'll lose 3-4dB, therefore you'll end up with an 82dB system and need to pad down the mid / tweeter by 8 - 10dB.

You might be better off investing in another SDX7 per side (= 2) to increase sensitivity back up to the high eighties. Of course, I don't know the minimum impedance of the SDX7 and problems that might present when paralleled. As Thomas said, some initial modeling would benefit.

If you can't measure yourself, look at www.rjbaudio.com for a description of how you can use existing measurements to approximate a crossover. I would also focus on the impedance when modeling, since midbass impedance dips down to of 2 - 3 ohms are not uncommon in a 3 way (depending on your crossover between bass and midrange drivers).

Dave.

Comment

• *B*
                  • Nov 2007

Thanks for the link. I'll read into it

Comment

• b_force
                    • Jun 2008

It's how you define sensitive

With two driver parallel it will cost more current, otherwise more voltage.
                    So do you look at the current, voltage or just in Watts?

You can better say that the max SPL with just one SDX7 will not be that high.
                    Max spl depends on xmax en SD.

On the other hand you must also look at the THD for the lower frequencies and I think a SDX7 just can not run that loud at low frequencies.
                    In other words, do you define maxspl at the xmax, or do you define the maxspl at a specific THD?

(I'm glad that the word sensitive is used and not efficiency. In the Netherlands people use both words, but the definitions are totally different)

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"