X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels
    • Oct 2008

Rear Surround Speakers Build

I'm trying to help a friend with his rear speakers in his surround setup. His room layout is anything but ideal. There is no way possible to move the rear speakers so they are outside everyone without going in the attic, and he really doesn't want to do that. I mentioned I could build him some new rear speakers and he took me up on it. Now I'm nervous about the project because I've never built anything on someone else's money. Here is what the speakers need to do:

Total build price under $140, prefer around $100 (excluding wood and finish)
    Small enough to sit on a pedistal and pass the wife test (She does want better sound, so that helps)
    8 ohm
    180 degree sound. we know its not perfect, but this way his chair will be getting some sound from the rear speakers, right now they get none.

I thought about building a square box with speakers on two adjacent sides and setting them on a 45 degree angle. Speakers would be a pair each of the Dayton RS100-4 4" and Dayton NDFB20-4. I thought about using the HIVI B3N or B4N, but the response curve didn't seem very flat, but the price was right

Then once I get the drivers picked out, I will need some major help designing the crossovers.

Thanks in advance
    Jarrett
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Some immediate thoughts:
    Modula MT - BOM Options, or
    The Noobsters
    Last edited by theSven; 22 August 2023, 10:49 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide urls
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• blue934
      • Mar 2008

PHP Code:
      http://soundhobby.com.istemp.com/speaker_projects.htm 
      I haven't checked the BOM price but these sound like the design you mentioned and and should give the 180deg coverage you are looking for if placed on a side wall.

blue934
      Last edited by blue934; 17 January 2009, 17:20 Saturday. Reason: edit: added soundhobby home page

Comment

• Wheels
        • Oct 2008

Thanks for the tips, but I should have specified the size for them. I'm needing very small satillite speakers. I'm working on a ported box design right now thats 5x5x8 that will house the HIVI B3N's. I think I can implement a low pass filter to counter the port gain due to the box being to small. I guess if it just doesn't work I won't have too much invested.

Comment

• HareBrained
          • Jul 2008

You're not going to get much smaller. I built an MTM using the cast frame version of this woofer and it's very nice sounding. Zaph said it can be used in the Bargain Mini without mods to the xover. He has a Low BSC version that will work for surrounds.
          John

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"