X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobhowell
    • Jul 2008

Zaph's HiVi/Vifa 5 and two subs.

Here are my latest; two subs and a HT R. The big sub is 2cf gross and sealed with Dayton RSS215HF 8" driven by PE 240w PA. It goes in the corner and goes very low. "Master and Commander" is a real treat for my staid friends. Had friends over and demoed it to the men while the wives chatted in the other room. The first cannon broadside busted up the hen party and scared them out to find out what was wrong!! The corner must really make a difference, as sim in Unibox showed nothing like that.

Second sub is new; SD215-88 with PE 70w PA in 1.5 cf, vented. It will go in corner, so to protect from over extension, I may stuff the vent. It will be used for HT, but in a small second floor condo, and the neighbors might complain. Its for my daughter and she does not want it loud.

The third speaker is one of 3 based on Zaph's HiVi/Vifa 5 design that is now pulled, as the drivers are no longer available. It sounds great and looks just as good. The drivers are beautiful and the overlap even looks great.

I use solid wood from 7/8 to 1 1/8 thick in wide boards; Poplar and soft maple.

Bob Howell
    Attached Files
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Looking good Bob.... :T

You're just becoming a one man speaker building factory... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Wow, a lot of nice wood working there. Am I the only one who just paints them black and calls it a day???
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

Looks good Bob. If those W5 Hi-Vi's were still around and cost about $10 less, I'd still be using them. (probably with a different tweeter) Competition is pretty fierce in the cheap 5" woofer department these days. But those who got them on sale at Mad before they disappeared got a great deal.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• bobhowell
          • Jul 2008

I destroyed the first set of Vifa tweeters with my soldering iron. Had to buy similar vifas for the voice coil, so the cost went up $40 total.

Since I use solid wood, curly soft maple, here, I find it easier than painting. Just a quick coat or two of shellac and a wax rubbing. The wood is cheap here at $2/bf.

I wish I had bought more HiVi W5's and found another use. They are beautiful, in sound and looks. I had selected this design and had the page up at Madisound when I was interrupted. Two days later when I came back the price had dropped almost in half.

I built the tower chamber 5" deep and about 22" tall, maintaining .25cf, stuffed with 8" polyester at the bottom. The crossover is in the base. Total height is 40". Will any of these modifications make a big change in the sound?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"