X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

3/4" MDF really is 3/4"

I just got myself a set of Mitutoyo calipers, and am having fun measuring things.

Turns out the cheap MDF from Lowes is .7500" thick +/- .0005". That's actually sort of impressive.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Probably depends on the current relative humidity.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• lunchmoney
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Amphiprion
      I just got myself a set of Mitutoyo calipers, and am having fun measuring things.

Turns out the cheap MDF from Lowes is .7500" thick +/- .0005". That's actually sort of impressive.
      Yeah, I've noticed that too... makes planning out and cutting your enclosures much easier.

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

It's pretty dry here right now. Darn cold weather, dry skin on my hands is killin' me.

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

cold, hah!

-38°C this AM,
          forecast for tommorow is -50°C accounting for windchill.

Comment

• CraigJ
            • Feb 2006

Darn cold weather... is killin' me.
            That's kinda funny, since schools up here may close tomorrow because it's too darn cold. Well, your brother could probably relate.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

It's pretty dry here right now. Darn cold weather, dry skin on my hands is killin' me.
              What, 60 degrees in Austin. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

Hey, I'm in College Station these days. Weather.com says it's 50

Comment

• don9146
                  • Nov 2008

People laugh when I say it since its cheap, but Corn Huskers Lotion (I can get it at Wal-Mart) is THE best stuff I have found for dry hands. A millwright that worked outside a lot in Detroit recommended it to me years ago. I don't see me ever changing.
                  Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Mazeroth
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by don9146
                    People laugh when I say it since its cheap, but Corn Huskers Lotion (I can get it at Wal-Mart) is THE best stuff I have found for dry hands. A millwright that worked outside a lot in Detroit recommended it to me years ago. I don't see me ever changing.
                    +10000. In the winters my hands and my fathers get so chapped they bleed. We're talking cracked beyond comprehension. The cure? Corn Huskers lotion before bed with socks on your hands. A day or two of that and they're back to normal. Plus, I love the smell!

Comment

• Xander
                      • Dec 2007

It was about -20 F (-30 C) this morning when I walked a mile into work.

All 4 of my cheeks were a bit numb.

edt: without the windchill. and it was breezy.

Comment

• Bill Schneider
                        • Sep 2007

Mark -- Hmmm, a coincidence. My new calipers were delivered yesterday - a set of Fowler 12" heavy duty dial calipers. It supplements my 6" Fowler vernier calipers I bought 20 years ago. I've been eyeing them for a while, and I couldn't pass up a 40% discount on them.

I bought them to make accurate cuts with my circular saw for larger pieces of MDF.

Now about the thread-drift (snow-drift?) side topic - I use "Zim's Crack Cream" on my hands in winter. I never warmed up to Corn Husker's lotion, although I still have a bottle in my darkroom.

Last edited by Bill Schneider; 14 January 2009, 12:38 Wednesday. Reason: added link for Crack Cream
                        My audio projects:
                        https://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

Udder balm all the way!

Actually, I use an essential oils mix now. Plus some beeswax if it's really bad.
                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Bent
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2003

udder bomb?

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Bag Balm.....

Vermont's Original Bag Balm relieves and protects skin - even in the toughest conditions. Bag Balm's intense healing formula uses simple ingredients with no sulfates or parabens. Safe For Humans & Animals. For Dry & Cracked Skin.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hank
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2002

Kid, you've got to get a job so you make money with your creative mind.
                                I've called a few associates up in St. Paul today and when they say "how are you?", I reply with: "warmer than you". Cruel, yes, but irresistable.
                                They say it'll be -40 wind chill today. To this native Texan, any temp less than 60 degrees is TOO COLD.

Why don't you go back to Lowe's today and measure some of their premium oak boards' consistency? Then go to Woodcraft, then to...

Comment

• Canadian_Dude
                                  • Aug 2008

I kinda doubt that is within 5 ten thousandths of an inch. I think you mean .750" and +/- .005". I have had a few Mitutoyo calipers and they are great, but not 5 ten thousandths of an inch great. For that accuracy you need micrometers. I am a machinist by trade by the way.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                    • Apr 2006

I kinda doubt that is within 5 ten thousandths of an inch.
                                    Would you like me to post a copy of the signed test certificate from Mitutoyo? It passed every test (16mil diameter, 2", 4", and 6") with no more than .0005" error at any position (max permissible error for the model I got is .0010" at any position). I didn't buy the cheap one

Kid, you've got to get a job so you make money with your creative mind.
                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken

If I wanted a day job, I'd get one. Right now I've got to finish what I've started since I left Cirrus.

Comment

• Canadian_Dude
                                      • Aug 2008

The dial is only marked for .001" increments is it not? So you are just guessing if it is right on that half thou. But anyways I think we are getting too technical here... We build speakers not space shuttles.

Comment

• Cataclysm
                                        • Feb 2008

I really don't want to be a prick, but Mitutoyo don't make digital or vernier calipers accurate to within .0001"

You can get a pair with repeatability within .0005", and a digital readout that will display down to .0005", but they are not accurate to one ten-thousandth of an inch.

Have a look: http://www.mitutoyo.ca/files/d1-d19.pdf

If your calipers really are that accurate, please let me know the model because it sure would be a lot handier to be able to measure a wider range of sizes with just a pair of calipers when turning metal on a lathe.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                          • Apr 2006

The dial is only marked for .001" increments is it not?
                                          It's digital readout.

We build speakers not space shuttles.
                                          I build circuit boards.

You can get a pair with repeatability within .0005", and a digital readout that will display down to .0005"
                                          This is exactly what I have. Model 500-196-20.

but they are not accurate to one ten-thousandth of an inch.
                                          Never said they were. If you read over what I wrote, I said they were gauranteed to be accurate to .0010" (one one-thousandth) over their range. The test certificate that came with them is attached to this post.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Alaric
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Canadian_Dude
                                            The dial is only marked for .001" increments is it not? So you are just guessing if it is right on that half thou. But anyways I think we are getting too technical here... We build speakers not space shuttles.

Technically correct-if the reading eyeballs between .001" gradients , and you're measuring MDF , you can probably make a half-a$$ guess at ".0005".
                                            To be totally fair , I'm partial to Brown and Sharpe , and Starrett. I'm also going to guess that if Mark needs reliable , repeatable .0001" measurements , he ain't using "pliers" (calipers). Just my guess.

You can get a pair with repeatability within .0005", and a digital readout that will display down to .0005", but they are not accurate to one ten-thousandth of an inch.
                                            They aren't all that accurate to .0005" either. They're 'good enough' in most cases , but if you're dealing with expansion rates and have reliable temperature differentials they probably aren't quite enough.

Having said all that-he's measuring MDF for chrissakes! Maybe lighten up?
                                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                            Schiit Modi 3
                                            Marantz CD5005
                                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Cataclysm
                                              • Feb 2008

I think that's the running joke of it all, plus, this is the internet -- only place grown men can get away with arguing about this dumb crap. :W

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                • Apr 2006

Having said all that-he's measuring MDF for chrissakes! Maybe lighten up?
                                                Thanks Alaric. What I find funny is that we're a bunch of guys arguing over tenths of hundredths or thousandths of an inch. I don't think anyone I've ever dated has been THAT critical

Comment

• Alaric
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2006

I don't think anyone I've ever dated has been THAT critical
                                                  You're gonna make me do ex-wife jokes now?

I should probably have just ducked and shut the hell up. Everybody had a good point or two , but it was being taken way too seriously , IMO. 8O
                                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                                  Marantz CD5005
                                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hank
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jul 2002

Yeah, yeah, the road less taken has been MY road for many, many years.

Right now I've got to finish what I've started since I left Cirrus.
                                                    Which is??....

Comment

• Alaric
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah, yeah, the road less taken has been MY road for many, many years.
                                                      OK , ex-wife jokes it is..."the road less taken" sure as hell ain't my ex! We're talkin' superhighway with armco barriers and 5 lanes per side.The only thing that's gone down in more bar parking lots than my bike is my ex.
                                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                                      Marantz CD5005
                                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonP
                                                        • Apr 2006

I've said it a lot, a pair of calipers is a VERY handy thing for a shop. Even a $15 Harbor freight pair, that isn't up to Mitotoyo tolerance. Everybody should have a pair.

Hey, for what we're doing... are we even worrying about that last thousandth, most of the time?

And what are you guys talking about with the weather? It was kinda hot today, maybe 78-80... :twisted: Wish it was cooler....

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                          • Apr 2006

Which is??....
                                                          TAS5518C
                                                          TAS5261 (x6)
                                                          SRC4392 (what idiot didn't make this thing have 5V tolerant I/O? Seriously...)
                                                          PCM1803A
                                                          18F4550

You didn't think I bought such a ridiculous scope so I could look at blinky LED's, did you? Right now I'm trying to talk Avnet into selling me inductors in quantities less than 1,000. I'm wondering if it's worth the improved EMI performance they have or if I should use the much more common but less well shielded SMD types that Digikey has in stock.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonP
                                                            I've said it a lot, a pair of calipers is a VERY handy thing for a shop. Even a $15 Harbor freight pair, that isn't up to Mitotoyo tolerance. Everybody should have a pair.
                                                            I finally bought a 6" Harbor Freight caliper on sale with a coupon for something like $12 and it has been extremely helpful on my last few jobs. Sure, not as nice as the Mitutoyo calipers we have at work but good enough. I was even thinking about taking mine in to work and testing it against the ones we use, which get calibrated twice a year, at a cost of only ~$150 each time :E

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                              • Apr 2006

One of our machinists at the R&D place I worked at had a pair of the Harbor Freight digital calipers ($30 or $40 I think). He said they compared really well with the Mitutoyo for the price. I almost bought a pair but got a good deal on my Mitutoyo and since I do teensy electronics stuff I sprung for the more precise ones. But he was quite happy using the Harbor Freight calipers for anything around the lab unless he needed super precision, at which point he said got out his 'real' tools (micrometers). He always seemed to be at his desk doing something in Solidworks though, I never actually saw him use them.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2005

I'm lucky if I get within 1/16" in my typical woodworking.
                                                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• vinceb
                                                                  • Apr 2005

Just to flog this a bit more, I was building on the mini-states this weekend and ususally take several thicknesses of mdf (like 6-8) clamp them and measure to get an idea of how far off they are, to correct cuts when it's important. My home depot sheets are 1/16" over when I stack 8 of them, making each one 1/128" over sized. No this is not usually a big deal but this is the difference between them slipping in between smooth and snug, and pushing the sides out when gluing the mid tunnels in. I just bump the fence a hair short of the 1" when cutting the side braces due to the width being less because the sides are thicker than 3/4". This does help avoid multiple cuts sometimes....

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"