• Jun 2008

haha.. those poor mini statements

Comment

• ahaik
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
      Hi John,

Your Statements look great!

No surprise that I agree with Curt. I've attached a picture of my pair of Mini's in my living room that has a similar placement situation to yours, in that, I have an entertainment center between the Mini's with little clearance in the center. I experience a similar sound to what you're describing from them because of placement. When I take them downstairs to my listening room, they image like crazy. They simply have to have some room to breathe with the open back transmission line design.

Please disregard the "bunny" decorations gracing my Mini's. My wife is chief decorator in charge on this level of our house.

Jim
      Jim those look great...
      And the Mini's look pretty good too :rofl:

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Ya, ya, ya.... I knew I'd take a "beating" from you guys over the bunnies. :rofl: It is Easter you know...

If you think that's bad, you should see Christmas and Halloween. :roll:

Jim

Comment

• FroDaddy
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
          Please disregard the "bunny" decorations gracing my Mini's. My wife is chief decorator in charge on this level of our house.

Jim
          :rofl: Sorry Jim, that's just hilarious!

Comment

• jcocomo
            • Jan 2009

ahaik - I do like dark red tones for speakers. I also think wild exotic woods are great but not the cost. The walnut veneer cost me ~$75/sheet and has pretty good grain structure and accepts stain evenly.

DeathMonk - Pre amp is Classe DR-6, amp is Classe DR-8, both early to mid 90's era, Cardas balanced inter connects between pre and amp. The cd player is Nakamichi MB-1s (mid 90's) with RCA analog out via Cardas quad link to the pre amp. There is room for improvement at the front end. The player does have a digital coax out and I have been curious about a separate DAC but I'm not sure if that is the best path. I have been using this set up with a pair of AR 162s that I bought new until the statements.

Curt,
            Thank you for your valued input. Your observations about the speaker placement on the right side is something I plan to address over the next couple of night. The wall unit was originally placed favoring the right in order to block the window behind it. This worked out with the previous speakers as they were smaller (all sealed) and positioned partially in front of the wall unit with good results. I will center the wall unit to equalize the spacing and create some relief to the right side.
            The speakers are actually 18" away from the back wall and I will experiment with further placement in addition to the above. I realize the overall configuration may not be the most ideal for the open back mids but the performance is not far from expectations. I feel the above changes will be a move in the right direction, stay tuned!

Thank you,

Hey Jim,
            It's good to know I'm experiencing what you already know. The wife has been talking about changing the wall unit into something low with a flat panel against the wall. Hmmm she maybe onto something, could I be so lucky? Thanks for the picture of your set up, I too like the bunnies by the way. :lol:

Comment

• ahaik
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jcocomo
              ahaik - I do like dark red tones for speakers. I also think wild exotic woods are great but not the cost. The walnut veneer cost me ~$75/sheet and has pretty good grain structure and accepts stain evenly.
              For small project you get great exotic veneers on Ebay for very little money. These are usually lefovers.
              That veneer cost me ~$30-$40 and was enough for a pair of Dayton III's that little subwoofer, the stands and I still have a little left.
              I would have loved to put it on the statements too, but by itself it would have probably cost more then the entire project did.

Asi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sub1_small.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	852955

Click image for larger version

Name:	sub6_small.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	852956
              Last edited by theSven; Today, 09:54 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• jcocomo
                • Jan 2009

NeoCd3.0 needs repair?

Hello All,

I think one of the tweeters is in need of repair. I first noticed the ribbon on this one did not look as taut as the other. Upon closer inspection I can see the ribbon is loose and some what curled. If I blow a gentle puff of air it waves and curls and then flops back. The other tweeter's ribbon is very taugt and unaffected by a gentle puff. I think the unit needs to be repaired. Has anyone had a similar experience? Would too much power cause this?

P.S. One of them was dropped from about 3ft a while back and I think this was the one.

Thanks,
                John...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Hello All,

I think one of the tweeters is in need of repair. I first noticed the ribbon on this one did not look as taut as the other. Upon closer inspection I can see the ribbon is loose and some what curled. If I blow a gentle puff of air it waves and curls and then flops back. The other tweeter's ribbon is very taugt and unaffected by a gentle puff. I think the unit needs to be repaired. Has anyone had a similar experience? Would too much power cause this?

P.S. One of them was dropped from about 3ft a while back and I think this was the one.

Thanks,
                  John...
                  Hi John,

Sorry about the bad news. I suspect it was the drop rather than too much power. The good news is, if you purchased the ribbons at Madisound, they'll replace the element for $19, I believe. Give them a call.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• jcocomo
                    • Jan 2009

Thanks Jim,

This is my first set of ribbons and I did not know what to look for when it was dropped. The odd thing is it appears to play ok but I beleive it to be the source of the mid/high issue I've been trying to peg. They did come from Madisound, I will speak with them and arrange the repair. I hope it does not throw off the matching much.

John...

Comment

• john trials
                      • Mar 2009

I'm supposed to get my Founteks tomorrow.

I'm unfamiliar with ribbons, and I'm wondering if there is any special care that should be used when handling them. I read that you should not use a vacuum cleaner to clean any dust out of them. Any other tips? Are they static sensitive?

What is the best way to test them to make sure they are okay after shipping (I won't have the parts for the Statement crossover for a while)?
                      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Thanks Jim,

This is my first set of ribbons and I did not know what to look for when it was dropped. The odd thing is it appears to play ok but I beleive it to be the source of the mid/high issue I've been trying to peg. They did come from Madisound, I will speak with them and arrange the repair. I hope it does not throw off the matching much.

John...
                        Hi John,

Madisound can explain their process to you when you call but I think they test them after the element is replaced to ensure the FR is at spec. There shouldn't be any problem with matching if they measure properly.

Also, regarding the sound issue you spoke of earlier in the thread. First thing to address is the placement problem. A speaker that depends on the back wave like the Statements simply won't sound right unless it has enough room around it to breathe properly. It doesn't have to be in the middle of the room but the entertainment center and close proximity to the side wall is a problem.

If that doesn't get the Statements squared away, it's time to dig into the crossover and carefully check to make sure they're assembled correctly.

Good luck!

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by john trials
                          I'm supposed to get my Founteks tomorrow.

I'm unfamiliar with ribbons, and I'm wondering if there is any special care that should be used when handling them. I read that you should not use a vacuum cleaner to clean any dust out of them. Any other tips? Are they static sensitive?

What is the best way to test them to make sure they are okay after shipping (I won't have the parts for the Statement crossover for a while)?
                          Hi John,

The NeoCD3.0's are quite robust and don't damage nearly as easily as other competing brands. However, the ribbon element can be damaged. I'd suggest the following:

1. Never vacuum dust from the ribbon. Use a duster or wipe the face gently instead.
                          2. Don't blow dust off the ribbon face. They're robust enough that this shouldn't be a problem but you can easily ruin other brand ribbon elements by blowing vigorously on them so simply don't do it.
                          3. I wouldn't place a speaker with a ribbon close to an open window when the wind is blowing.
                          4. If you transport a speaker with a ribbon, place a piece of 2" masking/painters tape over the ribbon element on the face plate to be safe.

Other than that, forget about them and enjoy the music. :T

Testing? Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned about testing them. I've not heard of anyone receiving a DOA Fountek. If you do want to test, ribbons require a cap in line to prevent damage. Talk to someone with more testing knowledge than me before attempting it to prevent damage to the ribbon.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"