X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

ECM 8000 Calibration

I was reading Thomas' page about equilzation and I am having problems downloading the calibration file for the ECM 8000. I was wondering if anyone has the file?

Is the page that I'm talking about.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Link fixed
    Attached Files

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Using a "universal" cal file for your mic will not correct anything. Some ECM8000 mics have a rising top end and some don't. So throwing the correction on the response may make things worse. Give Cross Spectrum Labs a call and get a real calibration for around $50.

Comment

• Mazeroth
        • Nov 2004

I agree. I actually looked at some ECM8000 cal files on the net last night to see how they compare to my ECM8000 that I had calibrated and they weren't even close.

Comment

• Winter
          • Nov 2007

I third Jed and Mazeroth's observation, from personal experience. Another example of "China Syndrome" quality control variances in products from China. Good consistant technical products can come from China.......when they desire.

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

I just saw this one over at the PE board. Results of 60 ECM8000 measured by a German calibrator.

Comment

• Mazeroth
              • Nov 2004

That makes me feel really good about mine! Mine's -3db at 10 hz and a gradual +3dB from 2k - 20k.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

I have 3 ECMs. All three have a +6 dB boosted top end.

Get your ECM calibrated. You'll never regret it!
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Dennis,

That is a pretty cool chart. It would be nice to see manufactured date of the calibrations to see if there is any correlation.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Yeah, I suspect the flat ones are from a few years back. Panasonic discontinued the mic capsules they were using and the Chinese OEM that builds the Behringers doesn't seem to have adapted very well to the newer model. Others like Earthworks don't seem be be having any problem so I don't know what the deal is. Maybe some resonance thing fitting the 1/4" capsule into a 1/2" body? That's sure what the curve of the new ones looks like.

PS, for anyone who wants to bite the bullet and buy an Earthworks, B&H Photo seems to have the best price. I can't fight this nagging feeling that a mic resonance is like a metal cone resonance. You can EQ it out but it's not really gone if it's in the passband.

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

What do you make of these, Dennis?

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

I don't know anything about those. One thing I noticed is they say they work with a 9V supply. I don't know if that means they will or won't work with a 48V supply like most pro preamps have.

Comment

• Winter
                          • Nov 2007

Purchased my ECM8000 microphone in November 2002.

ECM8000 Calibration:
                          50 to 3000 Hz : +- 0.2 dB
                          3000 to 8000 Hz : slow rise to +1.2 dB @ around 7500 Hz
                          8000 Hz to 20,000 Hz: gradual downward curve to +0 dB at 14,500 Hz and -2 dB @ 20,000 Hz,

Comment

• JonP
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                            I just saw this one over at the PE board. Results of 60 ECM8000 measured by a German calibrator.
                            Everybody said everything I was going to say... :W

I saw a chart like this a while back, it had only 6-8 mics... pretty much the same distribution. YMMV... you could have a pretty flat one, or one with a significant rise. Only calibrating will let you know what's right.

Kim Girardin (sp?) was also a calibrator, used to sell cal'ed Panasonic capsules.
                            Google him up, see if he's still doing it. He was charging $40 or so...

Comment

• lhwidget
                              • Jan 2009

Kim is still active, I sent my mic to him yesterday Kim Girardin (kmgrdn@luminet.net). Kim's calibration process goes to 45 kHz.

Also, there is a fellow named Herb Singleton, (hsingleton@cross-spectrum.com) at Cross Spectrum Labs. Herb's calibration process goes to just over 20 kHz.
                              Jay T

My Site

Comment

• MuaDibb
                                • Oct 2006

I just sent mine to Herb at Cross-Spectrum, he replied to my email promptly, and it was a Sunday. We'll see how far off it was when I get it back. :E
                                Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• 64NOMIS
                                  • Apr 2009

Hi guys, I was curious how your calibration went?
                                  Want More | Visit www.omnixedia.com | Compendium of the Diachron Omnix
                                  The Complete Vision | http:links.amd.com/eyecndys | Introduction to Central Computing & Multi Display Environments

Comment

• Jed
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by 64NOMIS
                                    Hi guys, I was curious how your calibration went?
                                    Herb is highly recommended. There was a thread over at PE that evaluated his files and they were accurate.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2006

Another vote for Herb's services. He's great.
                                      Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"