X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jallenbass
    • Nov 2008

Zaph's ZRT vs SR-71

I'm listening to the SR-71s as I sit here and I can't imagine a better sounding speaker. But I'm still curious as to what difference I might hear with the ZRT for $1000 more. Graphs show lower bass with the ZRT. What other characteristics? Anyone hear both designs? My listening room is 14x35 with a vaulted ceiling and hardwood floors. Listen to classical, acoustic jazz and some pop as well as movies.
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

I too would be interested in this comparison as I also just recently finished the SR71. My guess is the bottom end would be quite a bit better. In part due to the larger cabinet, but also due to the better driver. I'm quite tempted to order the parts from Madisound, but would love to hear from anyone who has made his comparison.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-2.webp
Views:	28
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	943913
    Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 23:17 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dar47
      • Nov 2008

I'm with you guys, I built the L18's for surrounds to add to an all metal HT set up and I move them upstairs as well for 2 channel occasionally and love them. This summer I want to build something nice on stands for listening to music in the open concept bungalow. I was wandering how the ZRT's would sound in a large open area. This is probably the most the wife would allow. My son built some nice MT's similar to the SR-71's in 17" cabinets tuned to 33htz and they do extend lower them my L18's at 42htz. I'm looking for a detailed sound for when I'm on the couch and was wondering if they are worth the step up.

Comment

• Cataclysm
        • Feb 2008

Would a ZRT 2.5 way front baffle like this be a large aggrivator in causing diffraction?
        (I didn't add any chamfers, roundovers, or bracing because I am slow in sketchup and a bit lazy :P )

Image not available
        Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 23:19 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

That cabinet should be fine as long as the roundover baffle edges around the tweeter is approximately the same and the driver spacing/layout on the baffle is the same.

As for the differences between those designs, the system with the Scan Speak drivers uses some of the best drivers in the world (IMO), so you'll get more detail, better defined bass... just a more lifelike sound that gets better as your equipment allows more information through.

Comment

• jkrutke
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Rolex
            I too would be interested in this comparison as I also just recently finished the SR71. My guess is the bottom end would be quite a bit better. In part due to the larger cabinet, but also due to the better driver. I'm quite tempted to order the parts from Madisound, but would love to hear from anyone who has made his comparison.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-2.webp Views:	0 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	943913

Rolex: beautiful SR71 box.

Jallenbass: Concerning an upgrade from the SR71 to the ZRT, you'll need to think real hard if the extra money is worth it. The differences will not jump right out at you immediately. Jed's right on, the Scan Speak drivers are better. Particularly in the midrange. But it's not waaay better and you'd need to live with the speakers a while to allow the lower listening fatigue of the ZRT to come through. My fear of someone upgrading from the SR71 to the ZRT would be an early jump to a conclusion of "I paid all that extra for this?"
            Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 23:17 Monday. Reason: Update quote
            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• jallenbass
              • Nov 2008

I figured that the law of diminishing returns would be in effect when comparing these two. As a classical and jazz musician I realize that when I hear acoustic instruments represented so accurately by the SR-71s that the ZRTs would not be a huge improvement. I do appreciate subtle improvements though so I'll just keep saving my money and build them someday.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"