X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mach1
    • Dec 2008

A little help for a noob - subwoofer

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, but finally decided to try this. I have an Image Dynamics dual 2ohm 12" car sub that's been sitting around for a while.

The specs are here:

The spec sheet specifies enclosure sizes for use in a car, so I'm not sure if it would be a lot of help.

I was wondering if someone could help me with a design for a box... This will be for a HT setup.

As for a plate amp, I was thinking about one of the Dayton amps, maybe the SA240... any thoughts?
  • mach1
    • Dec 2008

I should add that I would prefer to build a sealed enclosure, but am open to suggestions..

Comment

• brent_s
      • Jun 2006

It's definitely a car oriented driver...early rolloff, small box requirements. Should be ok for a small to moderate sized room or with modest output requirements. ID's Sd seems a bit optimistic compared to other 12" drivers which will inflate output simulations relative to other 12" drivers with similar Xmax. One has to wonder if other parameters were treated similarly like is Xmax really Xsus or is Fs really that low.

Using WinISD Pro Alpha:

Sealed 1 ft^3, Q= .646, f3=55hz, f10=30hz, f16=20hz. 500 watts with coils in series will get you 98dB@20hz, 105dB@30hz, 111@50hz...1m ground plane.

2.5 ft^3 tuned to 20hz. f3=40hz, f10=17.5hz. 500 watts with coils in series yields 107dB@20hz, 111@30hz, 112@50...1m ground plane. You'll probably want a 4" port to avoid port noise if you plan on pushing it hard, which is a problem. You'll need to squeeze a 4"x31" port into that 2.5 ft^3 cabinet to tune to 20hz. You don't mention costs...one of AESpeakers PR15-1050s should do the same for $65.

Subtract roughly 3dB from output numbers for the SA240.

-Brent

Comment

• mach1
        • Dec 2008

Thanks a lot for helping me out! I'll have a look at AESpeakers

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"