X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nat Ward
    • Jun 2003

Adire Tumult Mk1 Rebuild.......

Hello fellow DIY'ers. After ~1.5yrs in my first house I've managed to complete most of the projects that have had priority over my home theater/man room. I've been slowly working through drywall and other updates, and now I'd like to start on an in-wall subwoofer enclosure (to allow placement directly between mains, to reduce "stuff" on the floor and also since I'll be upgrading to a LCD/plasma eliminating magnet effects). It's a Cape-style house, therefore allowing substantial depth on the long ends where I can flush-mount the box. I'm creating this thread more for people to point out any glaring errors than looking for a hand-hold along the way. Hopefully I'm doing ok here .

Room Details:
    Length - 31.5ft
    Width - 16ft
    Height (max) - 7ft
    Area - 504ft^2
    Volume - 1634ft^3

Click image for larger version

Name:	room2.webp
Views:	39
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	939978

Subwoofer Hardware:
    Driver - 15" Adire Tumult Mk1
    Passives - 2 x 18" Stryke/AE 2500g
    Amp - Kiega 1000W plate
    EQ - Behringer BFD

Previously I built a ~4.5ft^3 (120L) gross enclosure for the sub/PRs, I loved it. Now that I have more room, and due to the in-wall design limiting me a line-array arrangement, I've modeled up a ~7ft^3 (200L) gross enclosure which results in a lower ~16Hz tune. This gives me room behind the Tumult to allow the motor to cool and gives me enough meat around the driver/PRs to create a 1.5in thick wall, if needed. Although I may end up running only 3/4" ply and incorporating an additional brace width-wise if others consider that sufficient. The entire box will be lag bolted to a 2-by frame behind the wall attached to the floor and roof joists. A trim piece will overhang the drywall cut eliminating my need to tape/mud and allow for easier patching should I decide to take the box out. Plus it'll flush-mount the drivers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	box_inside_braces.webp
Views:	42
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	939979

1) I can't think of any - but any negatives expected with my intended subwoofer location?
    2) Other than slightly running out of PR excursion in the low-teens, any concern with the increased box size?
    3) Yahoo - I can't wait to finally get this started!

Thanks in advance - Nat Ward
    Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 20:29 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The sub is going where there's a blue tape rectangle on the side wall?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nat Ward
      • Jun 2003

Yes Thomas, that's the current plan.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Could you rotate the room and use the long dimension instead of the short one?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Looks like there is a stair case that he's standing right over behind the camera. Then the window on that far wall. Imagine that the wall behind cameraman is not as wide.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
            Looks like there is a stair case .
            Yes that's what I thought as well. That said depending on the dimensions of the room it may workout better to have the first/primary listening position against the stairway.

Were the room rotated a riser could be built on the 'backside' of the stairway allowing for another row of seating.

As posted the design is limited with a single row listening position that's very close to the rearwall. Not a good thing.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"