X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RLHornbeck
    • Nov 2008

RLH's Khanspire build

Let me start off by saying Ryan and cjd I am sorry it has taken me so long to get this thread started. Work has been a bit crazy and my phone / camera broke midway through this build, but I have finally gotten them done and have pictures.

With just finishing the addition onto my house it is time to start getting items for the theater together. I decided to start with speakers, and was set on purchasing them but could not find anything that I liked within my budget. So left building them, but I have never built nice looking full range speakers before. I have built a few subwoofer enclosures before but never tried my hand at mains. I guess I jumped in head first, but thanks to K and cjd for there work on the Khanspires.

I actually started with the center channel in this build, though I did not go with a pre-designed unit. I decided to take the same drivers as in the towers and transform them into a center. I used the same internal volumes as the towers have. I changed the layout of the drivers which could cause me to make changes to the crossover a bit. At this time I am using the same crossover as in the towers since I have not had time to take measurements and see if any changes need to be made. It does sound darn good though! I also changed the shape of the enclosure, adding a curved top.

Ok enough talk time for some pictures.

The clamping or strapping of the curved top

After Bondo and sanding

Cherry veneer applied

Finished

After finishing the center I felt pretty good. The curved surface on the top of the center didn’t go to bad so I thought why not curve the sides on the tower speakers. Wow this was a pain in the butt! I spent more time clamping and strapping the sides of the cabinets than I did with the rest of the build parts put together. I do feel that the multiple layers of hard board was the easiest way to go it was still very hard. On the other hand I really liked the way they turned out. This is when my camera broke so I do not have very many pictures of the build.

Again here are the pictures:

Clamping up of the front baffle

The front of one speaker and the side of the other, a bit of a cluttered mess but only picture I had.

Finally finished! I used the same cherry veneer as I did on the center, but painted the back and bottom of these in black paint as you will never see it.

The back of the speaker

Finally I am throwing in a few pictures of the rest of the room as I am slowly working on it. My goals right now are:
    1. Doors in the back
    2. New Sub, when my Maelstrom arrives (I hope in a week or so)
    3. Stand for the center channel
    4. Acoustical treatments which will cover the windows over completely.

More to come.

RLH
  • crackyflipside
    • Nov 2006

Very nice, have you ran REW or something similar to measure the frequency response of the center channel?
    -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• RLHornbeck
      • Nov 2008

I have not. I hope to do that this week but my work may not give me the time.

RLH

Comment

• Silversmoky
        • Nov 2007

Very nice!! I really like the looks of your center. Great looking front stage. Nice theater room as well. Makes me jealous. Good work!

Comment

• lunchmoney
          • Jul 2008

Wow, those are just beautiful. Love the curved top of the center channel ;x(

Have you considered pitching the center back at a slight angle, to compensate for the tweeter being below ear level? Probably not a big deal, as I'm sure you'll get excellent vertical dispersion...

EDIT: never mind, missed the part about a center channel stand in the works.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

WOW!

I think I have decided that my new fee to you for this design is that you build my next set of cabinets. Those look amazing.

We need a full review of the sound.

I would be very interested in hearing that center channel.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by lunchmoney
              Have you considered pitching the center back at a slight angle, to compensate for the tweeter being below ear level?
              CJD and I briefly discusses this when I built the center. CJD said it wasn't necessarily. Not sure if it was because of dispersion or if he tilted the response up. I'll let him tell us.
              - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

The response should already be tilted up a bit, but it's certainly something to tweak should you feel the desire. With the Khancenter I built it that way.

I've not gone through sims on this variation of the design to see if there are phase problems likely, but some measurement data would go a long way to showing this better. Tweeter polarity may have to be flipped.

C
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• aqus
                  • Dec 2008

Really like that center channel, Is there a cad drawing available anywhere?
                  I would make it square though.

Comment

• CupCak3
                    • Oct 2007

Nicely done on the cabinets!

What stain did you use on teh center?

Comment

• 93PGT
                      • Feb 2009

Not sure if i missed it in one of your posts about this project, but I was just wondering how many layers of the hardboard you used, the thickness of each layer, and what kind of curvature radius you achieved? Any special way you prepared the surfaces to be bonded, or specific glues?

I'm looking to do a similarly shaped small-monitor with 1/8" HDF layers, and was wondering what's achievable/practical in terms of the cabinet.

Thanks, and that HT setup looks to have a lot of promise! Fantastic cabinet finish too!

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        • Jan 2009

I too am curious on how you achieved the curved construction. Also, I'm wondering how you calculated the correct volume with the curved surface? I'd like to do something like that for the Statements I'm building, but I have no idea how I would determine the exact sweep of the curve and the resulting volume....

Thanks

Comment

• 93PGT
                          • Feb 2009

BigguyZ:

For volume, I've just been using Solidworks, and shell command, take the volume (Vbox) including my crossbraces etc, then suppress the shell feature, take the volume again (Vtotal), and subtract: Vtotal-Vbox = Vinternal.

Alternatively, you could just integrate the shape of the curve once you know your radius, and chord length. Or break it down into roughly equivalent trapezoids, or even just draw to scale on graph paper and count the boxes! Then just have to subtract volume of bracing/xo/drivers/ports etc.

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

I'm not ignoring this thread, but I've never built curved boxes before so I can't say I know.

Several people have built them. There is a wealth of information spread around this forum. Dougie most recently built curved boxes for his Dynamic speaker's. His thread might be the best one:

Search a little deeper, and you'll find lots of posts about building curved boxes.
                            - Ryan

Comment

• 93PGT
                              • Feb 2009

Alright, most of what I'd searched for had led to bendable plywood laminates, and I was interested in the HDF. Thanks for that link; good to see others using 1/8" HDF, makes me feel better about my next project.

However, aside from attempting to scale from pictures, I still haven't been able to find any real guide as to kow tight a radius is practical in this type of construction. Even just the arc length and chord length of the curved panels is fine, and I'll work out the radius of curvature myself. Or better yet, a dimensional drawing or CAD model.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"