X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluewizard
    • Mar 2008

Just a comment about Flared Ports.

This is a very minor point really, but it occurred to me that the most readily available material to make ports out of is PVC pipe. It's ridged, it's available everywhere.

Now we know that flared ports are generally preferred. So, why has no one make port flares that fit on standard PVC plumbing pipe?

Seems like a good way to make a fortune.

Now I realize that most flare the outside simply by rounding the edges with a router. I'm not sure how they deal with the inside flare.

Does anyone know of a source of PVC compatible port flares?

Just curious.

Steve/bluewizard
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

I think most companies like Precision Port and Dayton purposely don't make the connecting flared ends compatible with PVC, so they can make more money selling the tube. Classic marketing.

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

The 6" Aeroport PNR-6 BK's I had fit outside green sewer pipe almost perfectly.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Recommendations on using Port Flares for loudspeakers and subwoofers based on experimental evidence

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• lunchmoney
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jed
          I think most companies like Precision Port and Dayton purposely don't make the connecting flared ends compatible with PVC, so they can make more money selling the tube. Classic marketing.
          And yet I'll bet the tubing they do use is something standard that you can buy elsewhere, like mcmaster.com

I haven't measured this to confirm, but I'll bet my left one that it's the case.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Bent
            fit . . . green sewer pipe
            Now that's what I want in my next speaker! :B :lol:

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

new green sewer pipe - :ROTFLOL

Comment

• collo
                • Nov 2005

mmm.... green flares.....

You can make 'em to fit on std PVC pipe, but it's fairly labour intensive. You're not likely to make a fortune!
                Ports rule ...

Comment

• JonP
                  • Apr 2006

Well, I did find a type of thinwall white PVC pipe, not your standard SDR 40 or similar, that at 4" was fairly close to the Precision Port pipe. You could slide the flares on it, with only a bit of a transition of diameter mismatch. Putty or something could smooth that out. I was trying to put about 24" of port into a 3cu' PE sub box that was >18" inside. Lots of elbows, not much pipe!

PWEagle, was the company, it was 4" PVC Sewer Pipe ASTM D2927 (?) I believe. Only seen this in one of the several home improvement stores locally. Haven't tried other sizes, just the 4".

The Precision Port stuff is very seamless, but they have max 17" total length. I believe you can buy extra tubes and maybe couplers. Pricey, compared to PVC, but slick and professional. They look very nice.

Any time you tool up for plastic parts, it's a big investment up front, (many thousands of $$) then you make many thousands of parts for pennies. You gotta price things to get your money back in a reasonable time. So I don't begrudge them for charging a moderate amount. Making a flare that goes on a standard pipe might be a good future move, but it could also compete with other parts you have already. Eventually, it could be cost effective to create new versions.

I'd like to see different sizes of flare radius, or at least some larger ones, as per your work Bob... if a company wanted to do some new and different products. (larger flares help port turbulence and noise)

I wonder what might be changed by the new rapid prototype kinds of methods and materials. Some are getting cheap enough that they might be getting price competitive with the older methods. Though hard to beat Bob's method of heating and flaring your own pipes! Very cheap cost, it's all in the sweat equity... :B

Comment

• bluewizard
                    • Mar 2008

Thanks for the replies.

I think ThomasW might have given us the answer to mass production of PVC Port Flares. If you have the flare molds, then you could heat the end of a pipe, press it on the mold, then trim it down to 0.5" to 1" of straight section. Once trimmed, start heating the pipe again, and your ready to make the next flare. Should be able to run them off pretty fast.

Once you have the flares with the short straight section, you could join them to pipe with pipe couplers.

To COLLO with the 'green flares'. Exactly what are those flares in the picture? Are they attachments, or did you heat treat the pipe as ThomasW suggests? Either way, they came out looking pretty good.

Though to my original question, I think JED has the answer. If PVC flares were readily available, why would we buy what passes for port parts now?

I was just curious why no manufacturer had thought of this before. It still seems like a good idea, and would make our lives easier.

Thanks again.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Make the port with performed sheet metal tubes then get these.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• collo
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bluewizard
                        ..To COLLO with the 'green flares'. Exactly what are those flares in the picture?
                        I'm the dude ThomasW linked to earlier.

The green ports shown were made using the heated PVC over mold approach. They're 86mm ID with 25mm flares.

In Australia, we don't have ready access to the PSP ports that are available in the States and in Europe, so I developed the molded PVC flares as pictured.

I supply them (and other sizes) to the local market, but the postage costs make other markets too expensive.

I think the PSP flares and tubes are made from ABS plastic, which is rigid and lighter than PVC. The tubes also match the flares for color, for a better appearance.

The extra cost to buy their tubes versus standard PVC is worth it in my humble opinion.

Those metal flares from Carolina Spiral Fittings would make an interesting solution if you needed huge ports..
                        Ports rule ...

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Seems like a good way to make a fortune.
                          Yup. :W
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"