X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkrueger
    • Mar 2006

Ultimate Hi Fidelity small box subwoofer

Hi all

I am new to the notion of subwoofers. I am not new to the htguide. I am seriously considering a sub for my 2 channel system because I am not willing at this point in my life to go to multi-channel, but I like the occasional movie. I currently am running Selah audio Scan-Speak 3-ways with SS6600, 15W4531G, and the 26W/4867T . It seems to me that one of my best options (if you believe the pages of propoganda) is a subwoofer that does not get discussed on this website. My question is this... Is there a way for me to do any better than servo subs if I am looking for low distortion, moderate spl, max extension subs? I just don't really understand what my options are. I figure that I can swing 3.5 cu/ft passed my wife. Help?

Flame and delete away.

I need some advice here.

Jon
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

As asked your question requires discussion comparing and contrasting the performance of servo vs non-servo, and that's something the seller of DIY servo subs doesn't consider us qualified to do, so we don't

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gonar
      • Feb 2006

so we are not allowed to discuss our opinions because some VENDOR might get p1ssy? (not that I have one in this case having never heard one of the forbidden subject systems)

can't you just hit him with the ban-hammer and let us all speak our minds?

sorry to stir up trouble, but I rely on this forum for unfettered discussion of the merits and problems of drivers, alignments, components and such and the idea that some VENDOR can, just by being a pr1ck, prevent the merits/problems of his products being discussed openly offends me.

I suppose you take the stand that you are punishing him by not discussing his products, but also you are letting him off the hook since the only source of info about those products is now his propaganda.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Then threads get started elsewhere discussing how someone got banned or moderated. Ugh... The internet is so ugly some times.

Anyway, there are always lots of ways to skin a cat. Servo subs use fancy electronics to monitor and limit the distortion in an ordinary driver. They work. But, you can always get to the same result by adding enough drivers so that you're never pushing the drivers into distortion. More drivers has other advantages, but some disadvantages. I think cost can come out to be a wash when everything is factored in.

Consider the Dayton RS subs. They are very high quality, low distortion. I think they will make you happy.

I would also suggest you email Rick Craig and ask him what he recommends for with his speakers. Rick is a very reasonable guy and will steer you in the right direction.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

For purposes of discussion on this forum the OP has 2 options, sealed or use passive radiators.

Sealed with the right choice of drivers and use of an LT circuit will provide very good sound quality. If he wants the most output from a relatively small box, PR's are probably the way to go.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jkrueger
            • Mar 2006

Easy LT?

Thanx Thomas

I know that you have a lot of sub experience. I think I know a bit what an LT circuit does, but I am not sure about where I would find one, or how I would impliment one. Are they ever included on the back of a plate amp?

Not trying to stir up trouble

Jon

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

There are several LT options, one is to use a Behringer DEQ2496 to create one. Marchand Electronics sells kit and assembled units. Finally there are build from scratch DIY projects scattered here and there on the net.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• looneybomber
                • May 2007

Originally posted by jkrueger
                Thanx Thomas

I know that you have a lot of sub experience. I think I know a bit what an LT circuit does, but I am not sure about where I would find one, or how I would impliment one. Are they ever included on the back of a plate amp?

Not trying to stir up trouble

Jon
                Various commercial products by Velodyne, HSU, JL, Sunfire, ect.. do have a built in LT. Off the shelf plate amps, however, do not and you'll need one of the products mentioned above.

Another possible option could be the IB (Infinite Baffle). That is if you have space available for it and can also cut a hole in a wall/ceiling/floor.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

The ADA plate amps did have an LT optional board you could buy. I don't remember where you can buy them though any more.

A good option for a sealed sub to do LT is a Behringer DEQ2496, using the built in shelving filters. It will also act as an eq.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

For 'hifi', driver selection is important. You want a driver that will perform well up into the midbass, not just at very low frequencies. All other things being equal (they seldom are ), a low inductance driver has lower distortion at higher frequencies. When looking at driver specs, low Le/Re is what to look for. The Dayton RS subs are very good in that regard. The Exodus subs from diycable.com are also very good but they're out of stock right now. The TD drivers from aespeakers.com are also very good (maybe the best? - unconfirmed by measurements). The thing you need to balance is the HF response vs. how much air they move -- Xmax * Sd -- and the ever important price in $$/liter_of_air_moved. Choices, choices.....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"