Tritrix in TL Encl. OR Zaph SR71 as mains?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acex008
    • Dec 2008

Tritrix in TL Encl. OR Zaph SR71 as mains?

So I'm just getting started on my HT system. I picked up a Yamaha YHT-590 5.1 system for cheap which includes the HTR-6130 receiver that'll handle 6ohms. I'm ditching the included powered sub and building a dual Elemental Designs EHQS12 powered subwoofer set for the lows. I'm ditching the included satelites and looking to build my DIY mains, center and rears next. For the mains, should I go with the Tritrix in the TL enclosure or the Zaph SR71's? I'm open to all opinions on the topic... Also, if I go with the SR71's which center and rears should I build to match? If I build the Tritrix, I'll just build a Tritrix ported center and a pair of sealed for the rears... This system will be for music and HT use.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Both are well respected designs. The SR71 uses better drivers and is a better speaker, but cost more. Are there other considerations?

You've probably seen that Lunchmoney first built the Tritrix and is currently building the SR71.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• lunchmoney
      • Jul 2008

I'll letcha know when the SR71's are done... I'm expecting them to be substantially better than the Tritrix's, but of course they cost a LOT more.

Comment

• acex008
        • Dec 2008

I know they are pretty much 2x the price but what I'm wondering is if they're honestly 2x the speaker? I guess at 1/2 the price I could build all 5 speakers of the Tritrix. If I go with the SR71's I'd have to build them first and save up for the center and rears...

Honestly I've never heard or built DIY speakers before (I've been in the DIY car audio world for over a decade). Now don't laugh, but to me the Yamaha speakers sound pretty good. I'd like to redefine my definition of "good" audio with whatever I build...

Comment

• lunchmoney
          • Jul 2008

Without a doubt the Tritrix's will blow you away. You won't be able to listen to those Yamahas after you've heard the Tritrix's. They're really that good.

So far I have the Tritrix mains and center done for my home theatre, and they sound VERY good. Far better than the Paradigm Titan's they replaced. Night and day. Can't wait to build the matching Tritrix MT's as surrounds.

The SR 71's I'm building for a music-only room, and can't imagine an entire matching home theatre of them simply for cost reasons.

Bear in mind that having matching mains and center is wonderful for home theatre... maybe another reason to build the Tritrix's, since you can build a matching center for them.

Comment

• lunchmoney
            • Jul 2008

Oh, and I firmly believe that the law of diminishing returns is in full effect with audio equipment, as it is with practically everything in this world... therefore spending twice as much will not yield speakers twice as good.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, and at this point this is just a philisophical stance in regards to these speakers in particular, and has not been verified, since I haven't finished 'em yet... but I'm not expecting speakers "twice as good"...

But how would you measure "twice as good" anyways?

Bang for the buck is a very gut feel sort of thing, and extremely subjective.

Comment

• acex008
              • Dec 2008

Thanks for the replies, great food for thought. I think i'm just going to build a full Tritrix set and call it good. I'm sure I will be more than satisfied with them.

Comment

• lunchmoney
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by acex008
                Thanks for the replies, great food for thought. I think i'm just going to build a full Tritrix set and call it good. I'm sure I will be more than satisfied with them.
                Good call.

Your jaw will hit the floor when you hear them... particularly when you realize how little money you just spent.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"