X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobhowell
    • Jul 2008

Another sub design for Christmas

Attached here is the Unibox Graph for my proposed Christmas present for my wife(she gets others).

This will have RSS210HF-4 driven by PE 70 watt Plate amp. It will go in a 30' x 16' den-kitchen with 8' ceiling, on the long wall, 2/3 way down, between the L/R speakers(ZBM4). It will be driven by a 40 yr old Pioneer SX-990 which still looks and sounds great. It has 28watt RMS @ 8 ohms and 30watts @ 4 ohms.

Its in 40L and might be down firing. It will be about 12" sq. and 26" high with turned bun feet and might be the stand for one of the speakers. Please look at this graph and help me predict how it will fill the room. I think it says it will go to 91 db before distortion begings, but what level can I anticipate will be needed to fill a room this size at moderate levels. All surfaces are hard except for a 6x8 rug and sofa and 2 easy chairs.

Thanks for the help

Bob
    Attached Files
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

IMO, the idea of 'filling' a 3800' cu ft room with an 8" driver is a bit unrealistic.

The sim shows the driver running out of Xmax around 38Hz, so what you really have is a woofer not a subwoofer.

Might want to sim a ported box with a 30Hz or so Fb, or use a bigger driver...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• HareBrained
      • Jul 2008

Some people can be so picky.

Little is gained from the 210HF in a ported enclosure. I think it should be fine for the "wife". (Did she ask for this? I hope the other gifts aren't a vacuum or an iron.)
      John

Comment

• DeathMonk
        • Jun 2008

I think it would be fine considering what he's pairing it with.

Comment

• bobhowell
          • Jul 2008

This would be used for music at one end of the room, in a chair about 6-10'in front L/R sub. I don't need to fill whole room; it has other functions, I only get part for my use.

I looked at ported and it might work also. Could build with one and plug it and compare.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"