X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Dipole Speaker Placement w/48" flat panel TV

I've been wondering about the optimum speaker (or should I say TV) placement for dipole speakers in relation to a large flat panel TV (say 48" across). The TV would be setting on a stand and have to be at least 12" from the wall, probably a bit more. It can't be hung on the wall. Let's say the speakers are 42" from the front wall and 30" from the sides (see graphic below).

Given that scenario, what would you presume to be the best positioning. With the screen closer to the wall, directly between the speakers, with about 1' clearance or somewhere in between and why?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dipolespeakerplacement.gif
Views:	13
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	943275
    Last edited by theSven; 27 June 2023, 20:54 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    Dan N.
  • Saurav
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Are you not toeing the speakers in at all? I'd put the TV roughly on the line extended from the speaker baffle, since that'll reduce the amount of energy sent to the TV to be reflected off it. So with the speakers toed in, that means the TV is somewhat behind the speakers.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The closer to the screen the more issues with comb-filtering.

My Iris dipoles are 29" in front of a 52" LCD. If I place a couple blankets on the screen the soundstage improves. So I'm planning building a removable panel made with OC 703 that sits in front of the screen when the TV isn't being used.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Dan,

My speakers aren't dipoles, but I would imagine the effects of the TV to be similar or even worse with dipoles. My speakers are located with the front of the baffle approximately 24" from the back wall (about 10" behind them). I have a 52" DLP (16" deep and 4" off the back wall) in between the speakers. IIRC there is about 18" from inside edge of the speaker to the outside edge of the TV.

I find that if the front of the TV is in line with the speakers the sound stage depth collapses. There no longer is depth behind the speakers. Sound radiates from a plane between the speakers and in front of them. The presentation becomes flat. You loose some of the performer is right there in the room with you feel. I haven't really noticed a huge change in the tonal balance, but it could be because the difference in the sound stage depth and presentation is so different. Just pushing the TV back about 4" behind the TV makes noticeable improvements. But getting rid of the TV is the best option. Its huge.

I feel good about discussing what I've heard. For an explanation of the physics behind what I hear, I pull crap out of my butt to make myself feel smart. So take the rest with a grain of salt, but the logic makes sense to me.

I think that without the tv the sound waves are able to roll around the speaker and fill that space, and that filling the space with sound gives it a spacious sound. But with the tv, the sound is all radiating from that plane between the speakers and depth can't develop behind the plane because the sound waves can't physically get there.

I would fear that dipoles would be worse, because the back wave would bounce off the back of the speaker and just be trapped behind the speaker.
        Last edited by theSven; 27 June 2023, 20:55 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dlneubec
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Ryan,

I think that dipoles are quite different in the sense that they naturally have a figure 8 polar radiation pattern, which puts the biggest nulls at the sides of the speakers. That suggests that spl output is lowest in that null area, reducing reflections, which would not be the case for a box speaker like yours. I could be way off here, however.

My initial thinking is that if you can't get enough space behind the dipole to the TV to keep it from acting like a wall and causing first refections too soon, then you would be better off with the flat panel in the null area, to the sides, assuming some minimum clearance between the speaker and TV edges could be maintained. I don't know what the minimm distance would be, however, and I could be entirely wrong about putting the flat panel in the null area. My doubt about it is why I though to post this thread.

Thomas has an interesting option with covering the TV for music, but that obviously has its shortcomings for HT. :W
          Dan N.

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

My initial thinking is that if you can't get enough space behind the dipole to the TV to keep it from acting like a wall and causing first refections too soon, then you would be better off with the flat panel in the null area, to the sides, assuming some minimum clearance between the speaker and TV edges could be maintained.
            That's my thinking too, Dan, but I'm wondering if you'd lose some of the dipole goodness by blocking the direct front wall reflections with the panel. OTOH, Thomas is absorbing those reflections with a blanket so maybe it's not so bad.

Thomas, can you try moving your TV forward so it's in the null of the dipoles and see (hear) what happens? If it's in the null, there shouldn't be much comb filtering like with a monopole.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
              Thomas, can you try moving your TV forward so it's in the null of the dipoles and see (hear) what happens? If it's in the null, there shouldn't be much comb filtering like with a monopole.
              The TV is in a fixed location, and the Isiris are moved as far back as they can go, so there's not much I can do....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Okay, how about just sticking a sheet of cardboard or whatever in the null to see what it does to the soundstage? Does it collapse the depth like Ryan said with his monopoles or....?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'll try that in the AM....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Dan,
                    Like I said, I don't know. Even in the null, I'm thinking like Dennis. I guess we'll find out soon.
                    - Ryan

Comment

• Rudolf
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by dlneubec
                      Given that scenario, what would you presume to be the best positioning. With the screen closer to the wall, directly between the speakers, with about 1' clearance or somewhere in between and why?
                      My opinion: TV as close to the front wall as possible. Dipoles in the same position as shown, but toed in in such way, that the dipole null is pointing to the mid of the TV screen. Any remaining sound reflected from the TV would have to bounce off the opposite side wall and will reach the opposite ear first, which doesn´t harm.
                      Rudolf
                      dipolplus.de

Comment

• AJINFLA
                        • Mar 2005

Get rid of the TV. There's nothing but crap on like 500 channels (ok, with the exception of the NFL network) and you've got dipoles (well, not quite) to listen to.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. if you keep it, I like Rudolfs suggestion.
                        Manufacturer

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                          Okay, how about just sticking a sheet of cardboard or whatever in the null to see what it does to the soundstage? Does it collapse the depth like Ryan said with his monopoles or....?
                          Yes it makes the soundstage more 2D.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by ThomasW
                            Thanks for doing the experiment, Thomas. :T

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              Well, I guess it sounded good in theory. Thanks.
                              - Ryan

Comment

• dlneubec
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

I did a little experimenting last night and have to agree with Thomas. The soundstage was compromized with the TV in between the speakers. They sounded more like box speakers than open baffle speakers. The negative effect of first reflections is reduced, however, to my ear, which was a positive. Overall, I prefered the TV back as far as possible, with the speakers toed in to put the TV a little more in the null area and the speakers moved a little closer to the side walls so they are further from the TV.

This was pretty much Rudolph's and Aj's suggestion.
                                Dan N.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"