X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjminch
    • Aug 2006

Point a newb in the rt direction

Ok here goes the intro.

I'm in Iraq and my dad (who is a very good wood worker) offered to build me my home theater setup I have wanted. I'm budgeting around 1500 for everything. This will be a big move up from my walmart HTIB setup.

The room isn't large (figure 18 feet deep, 25 feet wide, and 9ft tall) and because of the setup, I can't do a rear surround. It goes directly in the kitchen, so I will have to do side surround speakers on stands.

The wife said nothing to huge, I wanted towers originally. I've always liked the sound of some MTM speakers I've heard. Looks wise I prefer alum woofers.

I liked the above for the fronts, but the tweeter is out of stock. Is there another similiar build out there using those woofers?

These looked like they would fit the bill size wise for the surrounds.

Not sure on the center. This one seemed ok.

Haven't started on the sub yet.

Needless to say I want ones with a simple crossover design, because I've never attempted building one before. So am I on the right track with my choices? Is there a how-to out there for making a crossover?
    Last edited by jjminch; 29 November 2008, 12:22 Saturday.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

I think what you have picked out would make a nice starter system.

Consider CJD's RS150 MTM. http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19887
    It is step up from Zaph's BAMTM, but a very nice project and still pretty low cost. I've heard them a couple of times, and they are very nice. There is also a RS150 MT that would match and work well as surrounds. I think these might keep you from wanting to upgrade as quickly. And, they can be built as floor standers if you like. Not an issue at all.

For a sub, the biggest bang for the dollar is currently the Tempest-X from DIYcable.com. The PE RS subs are very nice too, just not as big of a value in terms of displacement/$$.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Here is some help on building a crossover.
      Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

But, it is pretty much just twist the wires up tightly like you see in the photo and then add some solder.
      - Ryan

Comment

• Xander
        • Dec 2007

I recently built and finished the RS150 MTM speakers that Ryan just suggested.

I think you would be very happy with them. The crossovers are not too difficult to put together and the boxes aren't too tricky.

One thing I will recommend is making sure you treat the walls inside of the box with acoustic foam so the backwave from the mids doesn't get reflected. Can make them sound very nasal and bright. Once I did the foam treatment they sounded much cleaner, and more pleasing to the ear. I even did a blind test with my friends to make sure it wasn't just me thinking they sounded so much better.

If you're planning a sub I suggest going sealed speakers all the way around, makes it simpler and possibly easier to integrate. You can still build the sealed as a tower. Just seal off at the correct volume with an internal brace. You can house the crossover in the bottom.

I'm not sure the Tempest X is available right now...it's supposed to be available again in Feb I believe, with a slight revision and slightly higher price tag.

If you're comparing this too a Walmart HTiB setup, I'd suggest getting a Shiva-X and a 500-watt plate amp. You'd be very happy with it. If you feel you may want to upgrade later I'd suggest a pro amp instead of a plate amp.

Oh, as far as cost goes, plan on about $200 per speaker for those RS150 MTMs. I built mine for about $150 per speaker parts cost, but I used buyout caps. I think inductor prices have gone up a bit in the past year too.

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Hey jjminch,

Good suggestions so far. I want to go a bit OT and thank you for serving in Iraq. Whether people think we should be there or not, nobody can question the sacrifice and the sheer guts of our guys getting the job done. :T

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Check out Brandon's designs for Noobs. I think he has an MTM version as well. Looks pretty slick in the PE curved cabinets. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28282

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
              Hey jjminch,

Good suggestions so far. I want to go a bit OT and thank you for serving in Iraq. Whether people think we should be there or not, nobody can question the sacrifice and the sheer guts of our guys getting the job done. :T
              Agreed. I really appreciate you guys. :T
              - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                Check out Brandon's designs for Noobs. I think he has an MTM version as well. Looks pretty slick in the PE curved cabinets. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28282
                Good call Jed. Definitely could come in on budget with a big sub and those.
                - Ryan

Comment

• jjminch
                  • Aug 2006

Lots of good info. Thanks for the posts and the welcome. I found the shiva sub here, but I could wait till the tempest comes back out again.

Gonna stick with the plate amp for size/simplicity. Receiver will be a 400 dollar onkyo/yamaha 7.1 hdmi deal that I can hopefully keep for more than six months without it being obsolete.

I checked out the RS150 MTM that was listed. It seemed like a nice setup (with a good writeup), and I liked that I could build 3 and just use one as a center.

The noobsters didn't seem half bad either.

I'm gonna mull this over for a few days. I have a lot of reading to do. Last thing I was is a 1000 dollar set of paperweights. Crossovers don't seem as bad once I understood how to read the schematics. Since I don't have testing equipment or the knowledge to tune anything, I like that these designs have been well received on the site.

Again thanks for the info. I'll put up another post when I got it finalized.

Comment

• jjminch
                    • Aug 2006

Well after a month of reading I have doubled my budget without hearing anything, I think I've lost it. Not a whole lot to do in my freetime over here but window shop on the internet.

I decided if I was going to do a stand mounted MTM, I might as well go a little bigger and do a nice tower. Everything I read said to spend the money on the front three. So I'll put the blue ray on hold, and go with a simple Onkyo receiver.

Right now I'm looking at Jed's Dynamic 4Ts and 4CC with the Lineup D4 for the rears.

I like the looks and the prices seem reasonable. Since I'm going to farm all the work out to my father, I need complete kits. He doesn't have the inclination to build a crossover, and its free labor so I'm not going to push it.

Comments, suggestions, anyone hear them first hand? Jed's been real helpfull with my questions, just looking for any imput or other options to consider. Thanks guys

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Well, I'm glad that we can be here for you.

I haven't heard Jed's Dynamic 4Ts, but I have a pair of his Lineup D4 sitting right here in front of me at my office. Very nice. I enjoy them. I'm guessing that the D4s will get mounted on a wall, so make sure you use the reduced baffle step crossover version that dials the bass back a bit to compensate for being on the wall.

I'm have no doubts about Jed and am sure his Dynamic4Ts are great. It sounds like a good deal for you.
                      - Ryan

Comment

• jjminch
                        • Aug 2006

Glad you like the 4Ts. I'll make sure to discuss the crossovers for him as well. Thank for the reply.

Comment

• jjminch
                          • Aug 2006

Just thought I'd post a link to the build thread I have on Jed's site.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"