X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pablo
    • Nov 2007

Seas CB17RCY/P

I have the chance to buy a brand new pair of these drivers at a very good prize:

I know they are discontinued, so I´d wanted to ask if anyone has experience with them. Any issues in their distortion and frequency response profiles?

Thanks in advance.

Pablo.
    Last edited by Pablo; 29 November 2008, 10:33 Saturday. Reason: link missing
  • tpremo55
    • Apr 2006

I've used a pair of them in a 2.5-way design that I showed at the 2007 Iowa DIY event. As a very old design that was originally a car-audio implementation, I used a textbook crossover. I dropped them into a modeled enclosure and didn't change the crossover. They sounded very nice for what they were. I've never measured them, so I can't speak in terms of numbers, but I found them to sound nice for an old-school poly coned woofer - maybe one of the nicer that I have used. I mated them with the Vifa D25-35-06 tweeter.

IIRC, they last sold new for about $42 USD ea. If I found them for $30 or less, I'd jump all over them... for $42 or more, there are other new drivers I would probably pick up.

Comment

• minkuni
      • Feb 2008

tpremo55: The C means coated paper in Seas-speak

Pablo: I have used these drivers in some simple and compact active speakers for a friend of mine. Using a 27TFFC tweeter and a Hypex Active Home 2W amplifier with a 2.5kHz crossover worked quite nicely. The CB17RC/P is about as smooth and simple to cross as a paper driver gets. One thing to keep in mind is its low Q and short XMAX (+/- 3mm) if you do not intend to add a separate woofer/subwoofer.

One of the more interesting DIY-constructions I know of with this driver is the Proteus/Mezzo Proteus by Tony Gee. Never heard them myself, but the Proteus certainly seems to have potential.
      Hail to Slay Radio baby!

Comment

• Pablo
        • Nov 2007

Thank you both.

One thing to keep in mind is its low Q and short XMAX (+/- 3mm) if you do not intend to add a separate woofer/subwoofer.
        Good point, since I always mess with Seas specs about coil travel, I was thinking of 6 mm instead of 3 mm.

Pablo.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"