Subwoofer design question(not how big a box)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert F.
    • Apr 2007

Subwoofer design question(not how big a box)

Hello all,
    I am going to build my first subwoofer and would like some information that I can not find for myself. I am using WinISD beta as a design tool. I have two possible plans on the table now. One plan is to use Dayton RSS265HF-4 10" in a 2 cubic foot box with a 3" vent 15.81 long tuned at 22.77Hz powered with 500 watt Dayton plate amp. Second plan is Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" in a 2 cubic foot sealed box with same type of amp. My question is how would these compare to each other? My room is 14' X 16' with 16' length totaly open to another room. Volume I like is moderate but when I feel froggy I will tend to turn it up some. Wish to have setup good for 50/50 HT & music. Am trying to keep enclosure size down for WAF. Also is there any negative effects of haveing these two drivers in a downfiring design? I don't know if gravitaional force pulling the cones down will be a problem.

Thanks

Robert
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

First of use WinISD Pro alpha if you must use WinISD. Personally I prefer Unibox but using it requires a copy of MS Excel.

Some drivers are better than others for down-firing applications. That said regardless of whether or not they pass the 5% test, any driver used down-firing will have a shorter life than one used in a vertical orientation.

Here's the webpage with the formula for calculating 5% sag

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brent_s
      • Jun 2006

First, while I think all of the RS series pass the 5% sag rule, I don't think downfiring is ever really a good thing for a driver, IMO. Depending on how close to the limits you push the driver, you may never notice the changes even if you run it for 10+ years.

Without knowing the room gain, which is effected by both room dimension and room placement, it's hard to say how much help the sealed RS315-HF is going to get. I used to run NHT1259s that modelled similarly, f10 @ 20Hz, that were essentially flat to 20Hz in room.

You've got some real potential for port noise below 30hz with the RS265-HF in that alignment. Even at half power, 250 watts, you're exceeding the Peerless suggestion of 34 m/s below 26Hz. The ported alignment will sill see the same room gain as the sealed box, so whatever output advantage WinISD gives the ported RS265-HF should be present in room below the room gain corner frequency. Being almost ruler flat to 25Hz, you'll probably have a natural "house curve" with room gain added.

I have an alternate suggestion. One I plan to build for my own living room in the near future. John at AESpeakers has his PR15-1050 on sale for $50. It will tune 2 ft^3 to 21Hz without any additional mass applied. I plan to match it with an RS315-HO, but it would do the same thing with a RS265-HF in place of your proposed 3" port. Since WinISD deals in net volumes (gross - driver/port/bracing), you should be able to get a slighly smaller overall cabinet going with a PR instead of a port. The RS315-HO with PR shows the least cone excursion with 500 watts while only giving up about 2dB at 30hz (less above/below) to the 265-HF ported. Since the 265-HF is well beyond rated Xmax at that point, the 315-HO/PR should be capable of more real world output, as one would expect when comparing a 10" to a 12".

For my tastes, any of these should be ok in a room your size. "Moderate" and "froggy" are subjective terms, though. My typical movie watching volume in my dedicated theater room (24'x16'x9') produces peak readings in the 95-100dB range...that's all speakers/sub on real sound tracks, not test tones. That level can still produce vibrations in the house structure (mostly stuff on the wall) 35' away and down half a level even if the high frequencies aren't audible beyond 10' or so from the theater's hollow core door. YMMV. :-)

-Brent

Comment

• orlofstg
        • Jul 2008

PR's

I agree with Brent. I reconfigured a down firing 15" sub that was in a vented 3ft2 box built to ***** specs. I went to a smaller front firing box with a pair of 15" AE PR's. No more port noise during movies, ruler flat response, and a smaller box. It looks cooler IMO too. :lol:

Edit by moderator to conform to forum rules
        Last edited by ThomasW; 30 November 2008, 22:01 Sunday.

Comment

• Robert F.
          • Apr 2007

Thanks gentlemen,
          I am new to DIY sub building and the passive radiator idea did not cross my mind.
          Now that I have this new avenue to explore I am going to see what I can come up with.
          Plans now are for 2 cu foot enclosure with one AE PR15-1050 as per Brent. Driver will be RSS315HF or HO. Have to figure out what version of driver will work best for me.
          Amp will be 500 watt Dayton. I have the amp already as I picked it up at PE during the black Friday sale. I have no software except WinISD and I downloaded WinISD Pro. The Pro version has passive radiator modeling. Now I need to see what box/driver parameters I can come up with. In the future I will purchase better software, perhaps Unibox as Thomas suggested. For now I need to ease myself into the DIY hobby.

Robert

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

Did the 5% sag test exist before Dan Wiggins and the Avatar Shiva?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"