X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • james5
    • Dec 2007

Another Subwoofer help thread...

I recently came across a barely used EP1500 for $100 so I did what anyone would do and bought it. I would like to use it to power a 12" or 15" sub. This will be for 90% HT and 10% music. Right now I have an HSU STF-2 so I'm looking for something that will outperform that.

I am leaning toward the Tempest-X but am not sure if I want to go ported or sealed. Any recommendations on this? The max size for the enclosure is roughly 18"x18"x36". I can go a little bigger than the 18" but not the 36". The wife has decreed that it must fit behind the couch. 8O

I read through the Tempest application notes and it says that I would need to EQ any sealed sub. I'm not really sure how to go about this. What is a low cost solution for this?

Ported/sealed? EQ/No EQ? Tempest/Something else? I really just need some guidance from you subwoofer gurus!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not sure how/where you'd use a port given the driver should go on an end of the box. A port for any lower tuning would butt up against the back of the driver.

These days reading virtually any DIY sub thread you should find info about EQing with either the Behringer DSP1124P or FBQ2496.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Blktre
      • Apr 2008

I'm using the FBQ2496. Altho, Kevin Haskins recommends using the OAudio plate amp he sells which has parametric EQ and a Subsonic filter with the Tempest X. The Tempest driver wont be available until Feb 09' or so with a 15% markup (for economic reasons) if that makes a difference to you.

BoxyCad shows your internal dimensions at 140.53 liters (4.96 cubic ft) with 3 internal braces using the outside sizes you noted. WINIsd says sealed will play lower than the vented but the vented will play a few db's louder. You may look into the Dayton RSS390HF-4 sub and see what you think of that one.

Comment

• LHD
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by james5
        I recently came across a barely used EP1500 for $100 so I did what anyone would do and bought it. I would like to use it to power a 12" or 15" sub. This will be for 90% HT and 10% music. Right now I have an HSU STF-2 so I'm looking for something that will outperform that.

I am leaning toward the Tempest-X but am not sure if I want to go ported or sealed. Any recommendations on this? The max size for the enclosure is roughly 18"x18"x36". I can go a little bigger than the 18" but not the 36". The wife has decreed that it must fit behind the couch. 8O

I read through the Tempest application notes and it says that I would need to EQ any sealed sub. I'm not really sure how to go about this. What is a low cost solution for this?

Ported/sealed? EQ/No EQ? Tempest/Something else? I really just need some guidance from you subwoofer gurus!
        You have a couple routes you could go. You can design a box that will fill all the room behind your couch and grab winISD pro to find out what driver to put in it. You should be able to get some very good results this way since you'll be able to use as much room as possible for your cabinet instead of using someone elses design as a drop in.

When you use winISD you only put certain speaker specs in and let it calculate the rest. Perhaps someone can post which ones to use since I cannot remember.

Your other option is to find a predesigned box/driver combo that meets WAF and fits your spot.

People generally use one of the two devices Thomas mentioned to EQ a sub. They are placed in between the audio source and amplifier and can be used to level out the in-room response of your sub. You'll need a computer, mic/spl meter and a couple other things to set one up though. Some people have reported some fairly good success using just their receiver. If it has Audyssey Multi EQ XT it can flatten the sub response some though I'd wager its not nearly as capable as the BFD.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"