X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xander
    • Dec 2007

Too big of speaker wire?

I am planning my IB build. It will be an "outie" manifold with the subs reversed, so the baskets will be visible.

I have a bunch of 8awg leftover from my car installation and wanted to use it as speaker wire for the subs, just for the heck of it. It would look pretty awesome. Subs are 4 of the AE IB15s.

My question is, will the capacitance in the wire be high enough to have a negative affect on sound quality? Will it be noticeable in the <60hz range? I can't seem to find much on the maximum speaker wire size, only minimum based on the "less than 5% of the speaker's nominal impedance in the speaker wire" rule.

edit: Forgot to mention cable length. It will be pretty short, probably 10 feet max from amp to first sub, and all 4 subs will be in line next to eachother. So in all...30 feet round trip max.

And the 8awg cable is made up of a ton of really thin strands. It's not welder's wire. It's StreetWires I think.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Xander
    I am planning my IB build. It will be an "outie" manifold with the subs reversed, so the baskets will be visible.
    Okay that's a first..

I have a bunch of 8awg leftover from my car installation and wanted to use it as speaker wire for the subs, just for the heck of it. It would look pretty awesome. Subs are 4 of the AE IB15s.
    It's very important to have wire that's so big it looks like a dead python lying on the floor. This is a requirement and seen at all high-end audio stores. So you're in good shape.... :T

My question is, will the capacitance in the wire be high enough to have a negative affect on sound quality? Will it be noticeable in the <60hz range? I can't seem to find much on the maximum speaker wire size, only minimum based on the "less than 5% of the speaker's nominal impedance in the speaker wire" rule.

edit: Forgot to mention cable length. It will be pretty short, probably 10 feet max from amp to first sub, and all 4 subs will be in line next to eachother. So in all...30 feet round trip max.

And the 8awg cable is made up of a ton of really thin strands. It's not welder's wire. It's StreetWires I think.
    If you have an LCR meter you could measure the capacitance. If you don't have a meter, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over this...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

It will be an "outie" manifold with the subs reversed, so the baskets will be visible.
      Can I ask why? Just to look cool?
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

To make a rough estimate of the capacitance, you look at surface area and separation. Here's a link:

The surface area between the positive and negative wire ought to be small, the separation is much larger than a purpose-built capacitor, and so I say that the capacitance of these subwoofer wires ought to be several orders of magnitude smaller than would have a measurable effect on the subwoofer output.

I don't think that this size and length of wire will have capacitance issues for any analog audio signal.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Xander
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
          Can I ask why? Just to look cool?
          Not 100%. The other side of the wall is the bathroom, with a shower (and a fan). I would rather have the subs' cones exposed to the humidity than the baskets and motors.

I did buy an LCR meter for my dad as a gift. I'll be home for Thanksgiving, I could measure the wire there.

Thanks for the info guys, and the laugh.

And don't worry, I'll be posting pics during the build. Hopefully the first week of January.

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

Not 100%. The other side of the wall is the bathroom, with a shower (and a fan). I would rather have the subs' cones exposed to the humidity than the baskets and motors.
            I think that's a bad idea, regardless of the side that will be exposed to humidity. But don't quote me on that.
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
              It's very important to have wire that's so big it looks like a dead python lying on the floor. This is a requirement and seen at all high-end audio stores. So you're in good shape.... :T
              :rofl:
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Xander
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                I think that's a bad idea, regardless of the side that will be exposed to humidity. But don't quote me on that.
                ThomasW said it'd be fine. Over on the IB Cult forums I had a small thread about planning it out. I know it's not optimal. But it's pretty much the only spot I could do it (small college house) and I really want to try IB.

And my friends and roommates are excited about having 4 15" subs in our theatre :B

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"