Alan Shaw, Harbeth audio: No way to predict bass response with nearfield technique

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Alan Shaw, Harbeth audio: No way to predict bass response with nearfield technique

True or false?

The best, most enduring audio products have in their favor more than great sound: They have some sense of history as well. Particularly good examples abound from the British companies Spendor, Rogers, and Harbeth, some of whose products were actually commissioned into being by the British Broadcasting Corporation. Better that, I suppose, than existing to fill a price point.

I find this pretty interesting...
    Javier Huerta
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

I read that last month. I think it is a manufacturer just complaining about the measurements of his speakers. They were HORRIBLE.

Sterophile uses the same measurement technique on with every speaker. JA often mentions how the nearfield technique causes a "slight rise" in the base. But, the results often appear to be accurate and correlated to thier listening. I've never seen other manufacturer's complain. JA's measurements are very well respected.

I think this guy is just full of crap. But, I'm sure there are lots of people who like the sound of his speaker.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

$13,000/pair for those monkey coffins? Sign me up!

Comment

• dlr
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
        I read that last month. I think it is a manufacturer just complaining about the measurements of his speakers. They were HORRIBLE.

Sterophile uses the same measurement technique on with every speaker. JA often mentions how the nearfield technique causes a "slight rise" in the base. But, the results often appear to be accurate and correlated to thier listening. I've never seen other manufacturer's complain. JA's measurements are very well respected.

I think this guy is just full of crap. But, I'm sure there are lots of people who like the sound of his speaker.
        He does have a point, I have to agree. Given the proximity of the ports to the woofer, any close-mic measurement may be contaminated with output from the other nearby port and driver. At the low frequencies involved, the only way to confirm the quasi-anechoic method is as he says.

Dave
        Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

I dunno, he could be right. Like we were talking about in another thread, you need to apply BSC to your nearfield measurements if the splice point is very high and I don't know if JA does that. And Zaph has talked about the woofer polluting nearfield port measurements and vice versa. He recommended putting a sheet of ply or something between the two to increase the path length difference.

As for nobody complaining about JA's methods, SL complained plenty when JA did his nearfield splice thing with a dipole (I think it was a Maggie.) JA's bass measurement was clearly wrong but he didn't change it after SL's letter, just said (in effect) that's how we measure everything so too bad.
          Last edited by Dennis H; 16 November 2008, 00:24 Sunday.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dlr
            He does have a point, I have to agree. Given the proximity of the ports to the woofer, any close-mic measurement may be contaminated with output from the other nearby port and driver. At the low frequencies involved, the only way to confirm the quasi-anechoic method is as he says.

Dave
            I see you point and agree. But, the manufacturer seemed to go way beyond that, calling the whole measurement process invalid. I accept the process it isn't perfect, but I don't think it is as bad as he is making it out to be.
            - Ryan

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

One thing I can say about this speaker having heard it RMAF is that the drivers seemed promising and it was voiced well, but at no time did it ever disappear. I could literally hear the baffle.
              ~Brandon 8O
              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                I see you point and agree. But, the manufacturer seemed to go way beyond that, calling the whole measurement process invalid. I accept the process it isn't perfect, but I don't think it is as bad as he is making it out to be.
                Actually, the only reason I still read Stereophile is John Atkinson. I don't even read what the reviewers say anymore - it's always the same stuff. I simply skip to the technical measurements.
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                  Actually, the only reason I still read Stereophile is John Atkinson. I don't even read what the reviewers say anymore - it's always the same stuff. I simply skip to the technical measurements.
                  Me too.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                    One thing I can say about this speaker having heard it RMAF is that the drivers seemed promising and it was voiced well, but at no time did it ever disappear. I could literally hear the baffle.
                    Interesting.
                    - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"