X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

external crossover

I was just wondering. How come I don't see speakers being made with theh crossover housed in a seperate box? Even in the commericial market they are only a few.
    I figured cost was a factor for those but for those who build their own speakers that would not be the case.
    Greg
  • DeathMonk
    • Jun 2008

I don't really see the point. Unless you have to maximize space/volume in a really small cabinet..

Comment

• Fronn
      • May 2008

Ultimately you're going to pay for the size either way you do it.

Either you have to account for the volume of the crossover inside the box or outside (which would have to include the secondary enclosure).

I can't think of any benefits, but I could list a few downsides.

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

Looking at a speaker like the B&W Nautilus, I can see that one reason for that crossover being external is due to its cabinet design. Also in the 800D I think it's in the plint? I thought there might some technical reason to have it out of the woofer enclosure.
        Greg

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

I'm building a speaker 80% identical to Zaph's ZDT3.5 (baffle shape is a bit different, and I'm using a Vifa DQ25, so the crossover changed a bit), and I cannot fit the crossover inside the cabinet.

The crossover is HUGE. The inductors are big and heavy. The capacitors are physically big. The cabinet was "slimmed down" (you know, the WAF factor). Once the internal bracing is considered, and the speaker is damped, there's just no way I can fit the crossover inside.

Memo to myself: next time, build a bigger cabinet. An external crossover is a (n expensive) pain in the *ss. You need to consider extra wiring, extra speaker terminals, an extra enclosure...

It has a big advantage, though. TWEAKING! No longer do you need to open up your speaker in order to change values. It's a really useful thing to have.

Other than that, it's not worth it. I'm only doing it because I have no other choice.
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
            I'm building a speaker 80% identical to Zaph's ZDT3.5 (baffle shape is a bit different, and I'm using a Vifa DQ25, so the crossover changed a bit), and I cannot fit the crossover inside the cabinet.

The crossover is HUGE. The inductors are big and heavy. The capacitors are physically big. The cabinet was "slimmed down" (you know, the WAF factor). Once the internal bracing is considered, and the speaker is damped, there's just no way I can fit the crossover inside.

Memo to myself: next time, build a bigger cabinet. An external crossover is a (n expensive) pain in the *ss. You need to consider extra wiring, extra speaker terminals, an extra enclosure...

It has a big advantage, though. TWEAKING! No longer do you need to open up your speaker in order to change values. It's a really useful thing to have.

Other than that, it's not worth it. I'm only doing it because I have no other choice.
            OK. If I was a DIYer I think I would want to have an external xover, just for the advantage of having easy access to the it. Besides having to build another enclosure, does it really add that much to the cost?
            Also what about having adjustments on an external xover, so you can tweek things?
            Greg

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It's certainly not a function of cost....

The fundamental benefit to an outboard XO is keeping the components away from the sound waves inside the box. One solution to this is an internal sub-enclosure.

The downside to external XO's is that the wiring going from the XO to the drivers is longer and therefore has increased exposed to interference. (this is a bad thing)

Most if not all DIYers checkout their crossovers by first running them outside the box. Once the design is 'frozen' the XO's are placed inside the enclosure.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Gray
                • Mar 2006

I put my crossovers in the bottom...best of both worlds. Moves with the speaker, easy to get to and like Thomas said no sound waves to worry about :T
                Attached Files

Comment

• NyxOne
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by GregLett
                  I was just wondering. How come I don't see speakers being made with theh crossover housed in a seperate box? Even in the commericial market they are only a few.
                  I figured cost was a factor for those but for those who build their own speakers that would not be the case.
                  Hey take a look at this!

BTW, this is not mine ... but wish it was!

The guy made an Sonus Faber Amati Clone which is really good looking!

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by NyxOne
                    Hey take a look at this!

BTW, this is not mine ... but wish it was!

The guy made an Sonus Faber Amati Clone which is really good looking!

That's a DIY? That looks like the real thing!
                    Greg

Comment

• b_force
                      • Jun 2008

An external filter would be handy if you just have a little thiny box (so the volume of the filter is in same order of the volume of the box).

It would also be handy if your planning to tweak further at your filter.

Otherwise I also do not see the point :P

Comment

• peter_m
                        • Sep 2007

Voice-coils and some of the resistors used in the x-overs can generate some heat when played at high volumes. Since temperature increase of the voice-coil affects the driver's response, it could be useful to have the x-over not sealed in the enclosure... If you play it loud for extended periods.

Comment

• Biff
                          • Jul 2006

Because I am never sure..

I put the XOS in the foot between the uprights. I actually have two XOs for this that were used to finalize, and the one in now has a jumper across a 1 ohm in the TW side that gives a bit of needed lift on some recordings.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• GregLett
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Biff
                            I put the XOS in the foot between the uprights. I actually have two XOs for this that were used to finalize, and the one in now has a jumper across a 1 ohm in the TW side that gives a bit of needed lift on some recordings.
                            I like that! It gives you the flexibility, but keeps the wires from the Xover to the woofers short.
                            Greg

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

What about something like an 8-way speakon to go from the XO box to the speaker? Might be kinda sexy...
                              -Chuck

Comment

• joetama
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
                                Looking at a speaker like the B&W Nautilus, I can see that one reason for that crossover being external is due to its cabinet design. Also in the 800D I think it's in the plint? I thought there might some technical reason to have it out of the woofer enclosure.
                                The Nautilus has active crossovers so it really has to be outside the box....
                                -Joe

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"