X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tktran
    • Jan 2005

Testing with ears

Hi all,

I read this over at John Krutke's blog, and it piqued my interest in testing some of my drivers.

I don't have a measurement mic, just a tripod/SPL meter, warble tones, LCR/multimeter, and computer-based tone generator.

Can someone tell me, should I be doing this with, or without the crossover in place? What is a reasonable level to test at? 2.83V OK?

I don't want to ruin any tweeters...

regards,
    Thanh.

Testing with ears...
    On the subject of testing tweeters, those without the ability to see an impedance curve or a harmonic distortion sweep to confirm performance can still find rubbing voice coils by ear. Generally, rubbing voice coils will be difficult to hear with music other than some edginess and ear fatigue. Testing with music, performance issues aren't really clear except for a realization that something's just not right. But with a swept sine wave, it will stand out as a sudden change in tone from smooth to buzz at certain frequencies. Software signal generators are all over the internet, just do a search. It has to be a sweep, not discrete tones or warbles. For tweeters, I recommend a slow sweep from 10kHz to about 400 Hz, starting at a low level, then at a higher level but not enough to exceed Xmax at 400 Hz. (the sound of a tweeter exceeding xmax is unique in itself) Note that this isn't going to find all quality control issues, just the ones that are bad enough to have a rubbing voice coil. You can use a similar sine wave sweep on woofers, just go down to 20 Hz or so. When a woofer is mounted in an enclosure, this is also handy to find mounting flange gaps that cause rattling. These like to hide in the midbass, 150 - 250 Hz. I don't always use a sealing gasket, but this tells me if I do indeed need to add a gasket or sealant. I recommend this testing by ear even for those who have a full set of testing programs. It's a quick easy hookup and sweep that takes no time. I do it all the time.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Should be called 'listening' not testing...

And yes there should be XO on the tweeter unless you like making paperweights

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• tktran
      • Jan 2005

Thomas,

I'm not so sure now after re-reading John's blog several times.

I think he means testing sans crossover. My current crossover makes the tweeter some 37dB down at 400Hz, which would make it very difficult to discern any differences that low down.

I'll think I'll read the test conditions of his tweeter mishmash and take it from there.

thanks anyway,
      Thanh.

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

When doing those sweeps I mentioned, I keep the level low enough to not require a protection cap. If the level is too high, you can hear the over excursion coming on like a slow onset of mush. (nothing at all like the sudden buzz of a defective tweeter) Stop it before it gets too bad and you risk damage.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Dave Bullet
          • Jul 2007

I use a voltage level of 0.5 - 1.0 volts. That's certainly loud enough for you to take a dB measurement at 1 metre.

You can model excursion of your tweeter first to estimate whether the drive level will cause over excursion. I put a spreadsheet together to show this (search this site). I don't have the link handy I'm afraid.

Cheers,
          David.

Comment

• tktran
            • Jan 2005

WARNING- Proceed with care

Hi John & Dave,

Thanks for your advice and input.

I modelled the excursion limited SPL using Unibox.
            For a typical SEAS 27-series tweeter, excursion limited SPL is 78dB at 400Hz, dropping by 12dB per octave.

I'll go for a bit more than 20% safety margin so I decided to set the sweep tones to 75dB.

As Dave suggested, setting the level somewhere between 0.5V & 1V is safe, but be very careful when playing close to 1V. At 1V, this is -9dBFS and depending on the tweeter's sensitivity & Sd*Xmax, it will likely run out of excursion by 400Hz.

I like to use test tones burnt on CD-R. So I looked at the tweeter's reference sensitivity of 90dB/2.83V, and subtracted 75dB from that. Since my test amp is set to output 2.83V for full scale input, I created test tones at -15dBFS.
            My sine sweep goes from 12.8Khz down to 400Hz, which is 5 octaves.
            I used a duration of 12 seconds octave (1 per semitone), making it a nice whole number, and also slow enough to identify when things go awry.

Then, I burnt this test tone onto a CD, and labelled it Tweeter Sweep.
            DO NOT put other test tones on this CD. Accidentally selecting bass test tracks tone would be disasterous. :roll:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"