X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ba123
    • Mar 2006

Looking for an unconventional DIY speaker design

I am looking to build a new speaker project and this time would like to try something more unconventional in shape and design. I am thinking of either an omni-directional project or dipole project, but really have no idea where to begin. I have seen several really cool projects on this board and others that people have built, but haven't really been able to find any full designs. I have a full shop and am comfortable building the speakers, but I would really like to be able to follow a design rather than attempt to cook one up. Any ideas where I should begin looking?
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ba123
    I am looking to build a new speaker project and this time would like to try something more unconventional in shape and design. I am thinking of either an omni-directional project or dipole project, but really have no idea where to begin. I have seen several really cool projects on this board and others that people have built, but haven't really been able to find any full designs. I have a full shop and am comfortable building the speakers, but I would really like to be able to follow a design rather than attempt to cook one up. Any ideas where I should begin looking?
    Yeah, you should build one of Dan N.'s Omni speakers. He's got a dozen of them or so and they are all great sounding. I'm sure he'll chime in here.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I've heard Dan's Hoss, Soundrounds, and Dou's at Iowa. All are excellent. I wish I had a reason to build a pair and experiment and see how they differ from a regular speaker. They are all fairly well written up, especially the Hoss. Dan will gladly offer more assistance if needed. He was just saying the other day that he didn't spend more time writting things up because no one is building them...
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

How about building a monopole?

Comment

• Mazeroth
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by cotdt
          How about building a monopole?
          :laughat:

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

Dan's stuff is very inventive.
            Not to hawk my own wares, but these are safe bets, and unconventional.

Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• cotdt
              • Oct 2005

What about the headless doggies?

Fullrange Tangbands:

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

What's your budget?

Comment

• ba123
                  • Mar 2006

Thanks for the suggestions so far. As far as a budget I'd like to say no more than ~$250 for components, but less is always better.

I looked at the Aether and Sunflowers, which look like great designs, but with more thinking as these will go into my bedroom I'd really like to try more of an omnidirectional project.

That said, I looked at Dan's designs and something like the Duo-t might be a good place to start - interesting, inexpensive and not too complicated. Other than the thread is there any more info on this? I found the box sizes, but is there any listing of the crossovers or the baffle angles?

BTW, i like those little TangBand figures... I think Ill stay on the lookout for for simple but unique enclosures for another basic project in the future.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Dan posted some stuff at PE also. PM Dan, and he will hook you up with everything you need.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the suggestions so far. As far as a budget I'd like to say no more than ~$250 for components, but less is always better.

I looked at the Aether and Sunflowers, which look like great designs, but with more thinking as these will go into my bedroom I'd really like to try more of an omnidirectional project.

That said, I looked at Dan's designs and something like the Duo-t might be a good place to start - interesting, inexpensive and not too complicated. Other than the thread is there any more info on this? I found the box sizes, but is there any listing of the crossovers or the baffle angles?

BTW, i like those little TangBand figures... I think Ill stay on the lookout for for simple but unique enclosures for another basic project in the future.
                      Hi ba123,

You got Mail!
                      Dan N.

Comment

• dlneubec
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

BTW, did you pick up the fact that the Duo-T has a simple upgrade to the Duo-S, using the same box? Add in a new crossover, port extension and top baffle and you can convert from the Duo-T to the Duo-S, should you want an upgrade in the future.
                        Dan N.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"