X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crackyflipside
    • Nov 2006

air core or copper foil

Are they interchangeable assuming they have the same specs?

If not, does it matter more when dealing with the higher frequencies or do the differences occur in the whole range of frequencies?

Is this topic a can of worms?
    -Chris B

;x( DIY
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

A standard air core inductor wound with appropriate wire gauge will be fine for any kind of passive loudspeaker crossover. There is no reason to go to foil inductors.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
      A standard air core inductor wound with appropriate wire gauge will be fine for any kind of passive loudspeaker crossover. There is no reason to go to foil inductors.

The only reason I'd get a foil air core is if I needed a 12 gauge in the woofer circuit in order to lower DCR and keep the positive qualities of air core over an iron core inductor.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

foil air coils are reportedly a pain in the butt to work with.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• norcad
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by crackyflipside
          Are they interchangeable assuming they have the same specs?

If not, does it matter more when dealing with the higher frequencies or do the differences occur in the whole range of frequencies?

Is this topic a can of worms?
          If both inductance and DCR are the same, there would be no differense.
          And like Jed says, its just one good reason to use foil coils, and that is if you need low DCR in a LP XO

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

For low DCR LP applications you can also look at coils with a laminated steel core. The more expensive stuff has very low DCR, coupled with low distortion. The Mundorf/ Jantzen cores saturates at high peak loads ( 2 kW).

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TacoD
              For low DCR LP applications you can also look at coils with a laminated steel core. The more expensive stuff has very low DCR, coupled with low distortion. The Mundorf/ Jantzen cores saturates at high peak loads ( 2 kW).

Taco,

Didn't JonMarsh test some of those iron core inductors and note the performance wasn't as good as is led to be believed?

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jed
                Taco,

Didn't JonMarsh test some of those iron core inductors and note the performance wasn't as good as is led to be believed?
                I do not know, I only saw something about foil inductors.

In the last couple of editions of the HobbyHifi, a lot of coils where tested. The bigger E-core stuff only saturated on very high power levels. For this they used a PA amplifier with more power than ever needed. Even the smaller cores where already very good performers.

Recently I swapped the air core inductor with 0.5 ohm DCR in my current project LP with an 0.1 ohm DCR core inductor and I've to admit that changes are noticeable. For values > 4.7 mH I was already using core inductors.

I use the 96 core version.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"