X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArvinK
    • Jun 2003

Fountek FW168 6.5" Midbass Driver

Anyone had a chance to look over or test this driver?
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ArvinK
    Anyone had a chance to look over or test this driver?

I've thought about testing it, but it doesn't look like the motor is vented at all.

Edit, I take that comment back, it looks like it has a very small hole for the pole vent.
    Attached Files

Comment

• cotdt
      • Oct 2005

it looks like this driver has BSC built in for a wide enough baffle. The breakup peak at 7.4kHz looks tameable. Pretty interesting for $45.

Comment

• Notorious_AK
        • May 2008

I think it's a screw that holds phase plug. Why would you need a vent in a driver with phase plug?

Comment

• jkrutke
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Notorious_AK
          I think it's a screw that holds phase plug. Why would you need a vent in a driver with phase plug?
          Yeah, no pole venting needed, it's a socket head cap screw holding the phase plug in, much the way Seas Excel does it. I've got a pair for testing, I'll let you guys know how they perform.
          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

I guess it's too much to ask to have the basket made similar to SEAS with venting around the VC at $46 for better cooling.

Comment

• jkrutke
              • Dec 2005

True. It doesn't actually cost a manufacturer any more for venting behind the spider... unless they are stuck with their old castings. Then when they come out with a new vented frame, they'll jack the price up to subsidize the tooling cost.

Other than the lack of voice coil venting, the build quality of these looks good. I notice mad has some slick looking kits available. It's ribbon tweeters of course, but the quality circuit boards and custom input terminals look pretty nice.
              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• jkrutke
                • Dec 2005

Damn, I can't get the phase plug out. It seems to be glued in addition to bolted. I wanted to see what the pole piece looks like and see if it had a copper sleeve or cap. Given the impedance curve, I suspect it does.

edit: if I peer down the voice coil gap by the phase plug, I can see a copper sleeve.
                Attached Files
                Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

It will be interesting to see how this one compares to the RS180. I have a few upgrades in mind if it edges out the Dayton. :T

Comment

• cotdt
                    • Oct 2005

There is also a 5.25" version of this driver it seems...

Comment

• jkrutke
                      • Dec 2005

Results of the Fountek FW168 posted with some comments. Not too bad.
                      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jkrutke
                        Results of the Fountek FW168 posted with some comments. Not too bad.
                        Looks good. Thanks John.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"