X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FroDaddy
    • Mar 2006

Untextured black melamine?

Has anyone ever purchased untextured black melamine? Preferably iron on? Flat black or glossy, it doesn't matter.

I have only been able to find textured.

Thanks

EDIT: Some other laminate will do as well
  • clark
    • Oct 2008

Our millwork shop (the sister company of the company I work for) stocks black melamine. It's just regular flat melamine - no texture - i would say it like most melamine is a 'satin' finish.
    They buy stuff like that in bulk, but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to get black.
    You might check w/ a local cabinet shop to see if they will sell it to you or where they buy their stuff from.

FYI you can get melamine in any color that you can get plastic laminate in.

As far as iron on I've only ever used the edge banding. I don't know about entire sheets, but if you can get a sheet of 3/4" melamine you could save yourself the step of laminating it. Just make sure you plan well and use a good saw blade and you should be able to assemble a finished product. (I'm assuming this is for a speaker box - if not I might not be helping at all)

EDIT: Matte finish not Satin.
    Last edited by clark; 04 November 2008, 12:27 Tuesday.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

I ordered some PE melamine and thought it looked like... plastic. Go veneer and don't look back.

Comment

• clark
        • Oct 2008

Melamine chips and flakes off if your not careful and can be sort of cheap looking IMO. It's great for the interior of cabinets because it is easy to clean. It has it's uses. I don't think I would want to use it for a finished look, but it can be - and is used in commercial cabinets all the time.

Comment

• FroDaddy
          • Mar 2006

My mains are a best effort to have glossy black paint, but I am trying to find an alternative method. If I can track down some untextured melamine, I will do a test sample with high gloss polyurethane over the top of it. Poly makes just about anything look good

Comment

• clark
            • Oct 2008

I'm not saying melamine looks bad it's just not that high end looking, but it would probably give a nice crisp look.
            It might turn out really well. There is no reason not to try new stuff. I'm not familiar with poly, but I think it might be difficut to make anything adhere very well to melamine, but maybe poly does?

Comment

• FroDaddy
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by clark
              I'm not saying melamine looks bad it's just not that high end looking, but it would probably give a nice crisp look.
              It might turn out really well. There is no reason not to try new stuff. I'm not familiar with poly, but I think it might be difficut to make anything adhere very well to melamine, but maybe poly does?
              No worries, I knew what you meant. I had a white textured melamine board and poly stuck to it, but I'm not sure what it would do with untextured. I found a couple of pictures I saved where this guy used melamine paint + satin poly on his statements. I can't seem to find the post again, though. These pictures were the inspiration for this thread.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"