X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurkalot
    • Dec 2005

Mounting Crossovers

Hello there,

I am in the process of laying out the crossovers for my Dayton 3-way centre channel, and it appears (to a novice like myself) that the space available is rather limited, given the braces and mid/tweeter enclosure. To maintain adequate spacing for the inductors, is there any downside to mounting the woofer crossover on the rear of the cabinet, using industrial strength Velcro? I have used Velcro before for horizontal mounting, and it holds very well indeed.

Thank you for any help you can provide ;x(

Bruce
    Attached Files
  • David_D
    • Feb 2008

That sure is a purrdy inside. I assume you meant a vertical application hanging off the back wall? I would advise keeping access through one of the woofer holes, in the event you had to tweek or replace. Maybe on one of the side walls.
    -David

As we try and consider
    We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• Lurkalot
      • Dec 2005

Thanks for the compliment David. Yes, I meant attaching it vertically to the back panel. The woofer section consists of one 4.7 mH inductor, one .55 same, and one large capacitor, so there is not much weight.

I should not have added the damping material to the sides already, it sticks like epoxy... :<(

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Marine or industrial Velcro.

Use hot glue to attach the Velcro, don't rely on the peel-n-stick adhesive

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

Very nice.

I always have problems with mounting crossovers inside my cabinets, too!
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonP
            • Apr 2006

I've used a piece of pegboard, which is nice with the holes for running tie wraps around parts. I then used metal standoffs screwed into the wood and screws into the standoffs to hold the pegboard to the wall. I was thereby able to have my dampening foam continue underneath the crossover. Being that the foam pressed against the board somewhat, it damped it from vibrating as well.

The board and standoff approach makes for a solid mounting.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
              • Jul 2007

Make sure you don't use steel screws to afix the steel laminate core inductors - otherwise you'll increase inductance. A bit of hot glue with cable ties works (or a non inductive screw)

David.

Comment

• rob17
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                Marine or industrial Velcro.

Use hot glue to attach the Velcro, don't rely on the peel-n-stick adhesive
                Thomas that is a great idea. I never thought of that myself, nor have I seen it around anywhere on this forum. I will have to utilize that in my current build. I usually just wedge the crossover between the foam on the sides against the bottom but I am always worried that it will come loose. I will have to pick up some of the heavy velcro this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"