Making your own Paper Cones (Ripping out the RS150's metal cone and using Paper)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

Making your own Paper Cones (Ripping out the RS150's metal cone and using Paper)

I like the Dayton Reference motors, but would prefer paper over metal cones. My plan is to recone the RS150 driver with a paper cone. It will be lighter and be used as a dedicated midrange. I will keep the same voice coil, just change the cone with a paper one.

I have some ideas already, but would like additional advice from you guys on how to make it, and what kind of paper to use. Or should I rip out the cone from an existing driver? If so, which one? Preferably one with the same voice coil diameter would be easiest to install onto the RS150's voice coil; I could trim the cone to fit of course.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cotdt
    My plan is to recone the RS150 driver with a paper cone...... It will be lighter.....
    Might want to do a little more research into paper making before you trash a perfectly good driver. It would be extremely difficult to hand fabricate a pulp cone weighing less than the metal one in the PE driver.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rolex
      • Mar 2005

You might have a better chance having a place like meniscus audio do a recone for you with paper. Though I'm not sure they will do custom cones.

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

Well this is mainly for my own amusement, so I don't mind sacrificing a perfectly good driver for it. I'm not planning to create any world class speaker with this obviously, since consistency might be an issue. I want to measure (and hear!) the differences between the cones, etc. Consider it research, though if it works out, I do plan on actually making a speaker from it!

Comment

• alias2
          • Oct 2008

Paper does mean it is essentially wood pulp based but "paper cones" have
          very little to do with common paper as we know it. Cones are usually hot
          pressed with a whole cocktail of additional ingredients, including plastics.
          What is a "paper" cone exactly ?

You may also have to trash a perfectly good paper driver, as the surround
          for it should suit the cone more than the Daytons surround, or perhaps not ....

I do not think the lack of a low distortion motor for a paper driver will mask
          the differences in the sound of metal and paper cones, it will only come into
          it when your giving them some real beans, most of the time distortion low.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I've pondered doing this with the cone-trashed (but otherwise pristine) RS270 I have...
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Notorious_AK
              • May 2008

cotdt, I recomment you slice cones (revelator style) and fill cuts with "cascade" damping stray. then spray entire cone.
              I ve done it to cheaper dayton woofers. There was a thread at diyaudio.

it'll loose sensitivity a little, but overall sound will be more relaxed and you don't have to worry about cone breakups.

Comment

• cotdt
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Notorious_AK
                cotdt, I recomment you slice cones (revelator style) and fill cuts with "cascade" damping stray. then spray entire cone.
                I ve done it to cheaper dayton woofers. There was a thread at diyaudio.

it'll loose sensitivity a little, but overall sound will be more relaxed and you don't have to worry about cone breakups.
                Very nice! I will try...

Comment

• Brian Walter
                  • Sep 2005

I would suggest that you take the speaker to a place that does re-coning and either have them do it for your or see if they will sell you the parts to DIY. Most large cities have places that repair speakers for the pro-sound industry; I'd check the local yellow pages or possibly Google.

Brian Walter

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"