X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

Damaged woofer - what happened?

I built myself a set of speakers. They used a 5 1/2" silver flute as the midbass driver. I kept them for a while, but wanted to move on to another project. I sold them to a gentlemen in the next state over. The shipping company caused some damage to the tweeter, so he sent them back to me for repair.

Either during packing to get back to me, or during transit back to me, one of the silver flute woofers got sucked down into the basket where it remained bottomed out when I unpacked it.

I put my fingers through the basket under the cone. Pressed lightly, and the driver popped back up. It now *seems* to play fine.

Any idea what would have caused the driver to bottom out? A hard hit on the ground? Someone's hand pushing in the driver before shipping? I had never seen this before.

Like I mentioned, it appears to sound fine. Just now sure what would cause a driver to bottom out, and stay there with the surround taut.
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

An uneven force on the cone pushed it in far enough that the voice coil windings hooked on the underside of the top plate. A little work and it pops out and springs back to center.

If there was no cone or former damage, there is a chance that it will continue to work fine. There's no saying what would have pushed the cone in, but dropping it would not be enough.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"