X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mingo
    • Jul 2007

ScanSpeak Illuminator project

Page in Danish, so you will have to translate.

Hifi højttalere og subwofer - se det store i udvalg i selvbyg samt fra vores 2 high-end producenter Phonar og Respons

Mingo
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Hmm those look nice

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Cool, only $16,500 USD/pr excluding cabinets.....maybe they'll give a discount for a 7.1 surround system....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Did they not post the schematic? They posted a full parts list so you could easily just build the kit your self. Shouldn't cost anywhere near that :B Unless those drivers are that expensive....

Edit: The drivers are a bit pricey

R3004 Tweeter - 360.53
        18WU/8 Ohm - 300.52

So thats roughly 2k in drivers say 500 or so for crossovers. Still a lot less then 16k

Comment

• Mingo
          • Jul 2007

Please notice: 16500 Danish kroner.
          Divide by approximately 5.5 to get the price in US dollars.

Comment

• tktran
            • Jan 2005

It's the crossover that makes or breaks the speaker...

I'd like a full set of measurements. Not just a single on-axis one...

Comment

• benchtester
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
              Did they not post the schematic?
              I see the schematic at the bottom of the original link. If you are having problems seeing it, I can try to copy it into the thread.

Edit: Simple pleasures - my first time attaching an image here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover schematic.jpg
Views:	3161
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	851420
              Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 13:43 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah I knew I had seen it was just stating. The drivers sure have some sexy baskets though.... makes you want to do a Poly carbonate enclosure for them.

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

I'm planning a dipole speaker with the Illuminators, when they come out. Want to be able to see those beautiful magnet/motor structures.

Comment

• TacoD
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2004

Looking good, to me it is a job well done.

Comment

• Rbrockman
                      • Aug 2007

Other than the drivers, this looks quite similar to the Zaph ZRT design.

I'd like to see some similar designs that us "poor" DIY'ers can afford to build using more affordable drivers.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

When I do a 2 channel setup I'll certainly be using SS drivers. Not sure they will be these models but at least the revelators.

Comment

• cotdt
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Rbrockman
                          Other than the drivers, this looks quite similar to the Zaph ZRT design.

I'd like to see some similar designs that us "poor" DIY'ers can afford to build using more affordable drivers.
                          But then they won't be Scanspeaks anymore...

BTW... there are tons of such designs right here on this forum.

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

I'd try to flatten the 3-4db peak/plateau around 500hz-1.5k though.

Comment

• cotdt
                              • Oct 2005

Are the Illuminators really an upgrade from the Revelators in performance? The response curve is not nearly as smooth, there is quite a big 10dB breakup peak at 5kHz. It won't allow for the extremely simple crossovers and the ample choice of crossover points that the Revelators allowed.

There WILL be audible 3rd order harmonic distortion centered at 1700Hz just like the Seas Excel W18EX, originating from the breakup peak (interestingly, Scanspeak is also offering the Illuminator with a magnesium cone). You would have to cross low to avoid this. The crossover in question crosses it at 2200Hz which I think is too high.

The Illuminators might beat the Revelators in harmonic distortion though, based on the impedance curve they seem to have TONS of copper. And 9mm one-way xmax!

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

They just look sexy

Comment

• tktran
                                  • Jan 2005

The Illuminator takes 1 step forward but 1 step backwards IMHO.

The magnet is certainly well ventilated, but the Revelator's frequency response was almost text book perfect.

Why did they want to ruin that?

X-max is good for the low end, but compared to 7mm, an extra 2mm doesn't yield much.

Give me an extra 2dB sensitivity instead. That's an equivalent to having an amplifier with 58% more RMS power...

Comment

• cotdt
                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tktran
                                    The magnet is certainly well ventilated, but the Revelator's frequency response was almost text book perfect.

Why did they want to ruin that?
                                    The reason is they went from high loss suspension system to a low loss one in the Illuminator. These tend to sound better. Expect improved midrange clarity. I always thought that the Peerless Exclusives had more clarity in the midrange compared to the Scanspeaks, likely for the same reason.

Comment

• tktran
                                      • Jan 2005

Well they must have done something to go backwards to the the kind of 'rough' look, stiff paper cone and soft suspension to yield that frequency response.

The FR ...

Name:	18WU-8741T00_Frequency_Response.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	948050

reminds me of the old 18W/8535:

Name:	8535-png.342096.png
Views:	33
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	948051

Some full range drivers that are reputed to have amazing 'clarity', 'detail' and other amazing characteristics, turn out to have all kinds of FR and HD anomalies when measured by a 3rd party. Gee well I wonder why people hear all those special effects...

If all other things are equal, I'll take the lowest linear and non-linear distortion drivers I can find.
                                      Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 13:36 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cotdt
                                        • Oct 2005

Hmm that almost looks like the exact same graph...

Some full range drivers that are reputed to have amazing 'clarity', 'detail' and other amazing characteristics, turn out to have all kinds of FR and HD anomalies when measured by a 3rd party. Gee well I wonder why people hear all those special effects...
                                        well the drivers are in their crossovers so the breakup would no longer be there, but still... the general trend is that drivers with lower mass, lower inductance, stronger BL motor, more rigid cone material produce a cleaner upper midrange regardless of distortion.

in fact, except for the lower frequencies, i haven't found much correlation between harmonic distortion and subjective sound. the peerless exclusives, seas excels, and scanspeak revelators all have low distortion but yet they all sound very different from one another and have different levels of clarity regardless of how you adjust your crossover.

well my point is, we really have to listen to these new Illuminators to decide on whether they are worth it. i do agree that the peaky frequency response is a step backwards though.

Comment

• JonW
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

So my big question here is:
                                          Who is going to measure the distortion of the Illuminators when they come out?
                                          Maybe Zaph or Jed or…?

I’m especially interested in the small-flanged tweeters:

I would really like to design a rather small MT speaker, for which I need a small-flanged tweeter. I’m not happy enough with the performance of any of the currently available options. If the small Illuminator tweeters have low distortion similar to, say, the Scanspeak 6600, I’ll use them for this project. They could be paired with a Revelator woofer or, heck, maybe even an Illuminator woofer if they measure very well.

If all other things are equal, I'll take the lowest linear and non-linear distortion drivers I can find.
                                          Agreed.

Comment

• Jed
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2005

I'd like to measure them. I don't see the rising response in the treble as an issue at all. That's an easy fix in the crossover network. That extra energy was put there on purpose by Scanspeak.

The problem is money. I'm trying to balance how much I output with how much I input if you know what I mean- .

Though, I'd really like to do a speaker with these Illuminator drivers. I saw one, actually Darren K's only sample in the BPT room at RMAF, and it's built like a masterpiece.

Comment

• tktran
                                              • Jan 2005

Well it looks like they're back with a cone sourced from Kurt Müller:

Image not available

I like the new motor system, I just wished they had kept the original soft parts...

Here's the 8531G FR:

Name:	18W_8531G00.gif
Views:	36
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	948052

Here again is the 8741T FR:

Name:	18WU:8741T00.png
Views:	48
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	948053
                                              Attached Files
                                              Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 13:42 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2002

A bit OT but, if you're looking at spendy drivers, the Seas Excel T29 tweeters are on sale at Madisound for about half price.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Comment

• cotdt
                                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                  A bit OT but, if you're looking at spendy drivers, the Seas Excel T29 tweeters are on sale at Madisound for about half price.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/specials.php
                                                  those are really good tweeters...

Comment

• jkrutke
                                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JonW
                                                    So my big question here is:
                                                    Who is going to measure the distortion of the Illuminators when they come out?
                                                    Maybe Zaph or Jed or…?
                                                    I'm not going to buy a pair myself. I still feel the burn from the ribbons I bought for testing using my own money. :E

As far as getting a loaner pair in, it's probably not likely for Jed or myself. The more expensive a driver is, the less likely anyone will hand them over only to have their precious jewels devalued.

For the most expensive driver I've ever tested, ($2300) I had to agree to not publish the results. I normally would have said forget it, but my own sick curiosity drove me to test it anyway. Now I can't talk about it. :roll:

Well it looks like they're back with a cone sourced from Kurt Müller:
                                                    Hmmm, Scan Speak made their Revelator cones in-house to discourage copies being sold. I wonder why they went to an external manufacturer for the Illuminator line. Maybe the good cone designers left the company. Then again, looking at the SB Acoustics stuff, maybe not. The Revelator drivers, at least the 12cm, 15cm and and 18cm are pretty much the best paper/pulp cones in the world.
                                                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• jkrutke
                                                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/specials.php
                                                      You know, I would indeed call those a good deal. Even if they didn't perform as well as the 27 series Prestige tweeters, solid build quality is worth something. There's something satisfying about a flange that doesn't warp no matter how hard you torque the screws.
                                                      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• tktran
                                                        • Jan 2005

I think they're great tweeters, but feel that they should have cost this price at the introduction.

You know, price equivalent to the T25CF001. A great tweeter at a reasonable price IMHO.

Dave's (DLR) mod for the T25CF001 apparently works for the T29CF001, and should make it even better. (See Troels Gravesen's experiments in the SEAS "Cost No Object" 2 way design)

Comment

• Jed
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jkrutke

For the most expensive driver I've ever tested, ($2300) I had to agree to not publish the results. I normally would have said forget it, but my own sick curiosity drove me to test it anyway. Now I can't talk about it. :roll:

Oh come on, we all know the Aura NT1 performed better. :B :T

Comment

• JonW
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

I'm not going to buy a pair myself. I still feel the burn from the ribbons I bought for testing using my own money. :E

As far as getting a loaner pair in...
                                                            How's about if I bought a pair and sent them to you for testing?

Yes, I'm getting that desperate for a high quality, small-flanged tweeter. If they measure well, I can use them. If not, maybe I could sell them and only be out $50-100?

Now that I've worked with the SS 6600, I've become a little spoiled. At Iowa I listened carefully to all the small-flanged tweeters there (Aura NT1, Dayton ND20, Vifa DQ25 (?), Vifa D26). None of them did it for me, although I thought the D26 sounded the best. I work rather slowly and a speaker project takes me months. So I want to start out with really good drivers and know that the end product is as good as possible for me to make.

Comment

• Jed
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Apr 2005

JonW,

You could always convert your 2-way into a 3-way with a nice SS 10" driver. Otherwise the Illuminator is likely a lateral move to what you already have. Been there done that.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

I have this feeling that the SS6600 is probably nearly as good as the Illuminator tweeter. Also I have a feeling that the Revelators are probably going to be easier to use and something like 90-95% as good as the Illuminator mids/woofers. When I do a 2 channel system I'd love the SS6600 AirCir and then some Revelator mids (5.5"?) and I'm not sure about woofers...could go cheaper could go more expensive but I think this would be an amazing 2 channel setup

Comment

• cotdt
                                                                  • Oct 2005

Isn't the Illuminator tweeter basically the same thing as the Revelator 7000? That motor system isn't going to change anything but lower the sensitivity.

Comment

• JonW
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jed
                                                                    JonW,

You could always convert your 2-way into a 3-way with a nice SS 10" driver. Otherwise the Illuminator is likely a lateral move to what you already have. Been there done that.
                                                                    Hi Jed,

I am, indeed, thinking up a 3-way for which I may use the 6600 tweeter, an SS 5.5” or 7” mid, and a pair of woofers, be they 2 x 10” SS or 12” from another company.

But I’m also thinking about a quite small MT for office use. Maybe ~6.5” W x ~10” H x ~7.5” deep. And to keep it that small it really needs a small-flanged tweeter.

So yeah, different tweeters for different projects.

Comment

• b_force
                                                                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by cotdt
                                                                      Isn't the Illuminator tweeter basically the same thing as the Revelator 7000? That motor system isn't going to change anything but lower the sensitivity.
                                                                      The new serie, like this one:

Is a one to one copy of this one.

the difference is that there is a 6600 with a ring radiator.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Well there are some small differences. For one it looks like there is a felt area on the 662000. Also the material the dome is made of looks to be a bit different.

Comment

• b_force
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jun 2008

If you look at the datasheets there are exactly the same.
                                                                          (And I mean REALLY EXACT !)

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16073

Hmm very interesting.... Isn't the SS6600 quite a bit cheaper?

Comment

• cotdt
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2005
                                                                              • 393

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                                              Hmm very interesting.... Isn't the SS6600 quite a bit cheaper?
                                                                              Yes, and the Peerless HDS Tweeter is even cheaper, though it' a different tweeter 8)

Comment

• b_force
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jun 2008
                                                                                • 98

#40
                                                                                cotdt??? ehm explain :P

Yes the 6600 is cheaper.
                                                                                I'm thinking that the newer ones are just the same tweeter, but with another (highend) look.....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 16073

#41
                                                                                  I just wish there was a way to show off that sexy motor.

Comment

• cotdt
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2005
                                                                                    • 393

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by b_force
                                                                                    cotdt??? ehm explain :P

Yes the 6600 is cheaper.
                                                                                    I'm thinking that the newer ones are just the same tweeter, but with another (highend) look.....
                                                                                    For only $78, the Peerless HDS 810921 Tweeter offers similar performance as the Scanspeak. Distortion is really low and it can cross over really, really low with either a waveguide or active.

Because of its lower mass, the HDS tweeter has lower IM distortion than any other tweeter including the Scanspeaks, which I think is why the Peerless seems to have more "air" and perceived detail than the 6600. It kind of has that Hiquphon/ribbon tweeter sound, except it tests very low on distortion, so you can't blame its airiness on distortion. What it does have in common is very light weight though.

Comment

• benchtester
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2007
                                                                                      • 213

#43
                                                                                      15W or 18W Revelators/Illuminator

Originally posted by Jed
                                                                                      JonW,

Thanks, I think this answers one of my questions.

I have a 2-way with a 15W Revelator and SS 6600 tweeter with a LR2 crossover at 2400 Hz.. I am thinking of expanding it into a 3-way.

If one were trying to optimize such a system would a 18W Revelator offer any benefits or problems compared to the 15W Revelator? It sounds like you don't think the Illuminator would be much different.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2005
                                                                                        • 590

#44
                                                                                        In some discussions about other stuff, I heard that Madisound just got in the 18's and the small tweeters. They should be for sale soon.

There WILL be audible 3rd order harmonic distortion centered at 1700Hz just like the Seas Excel W18EX, originating from the breakup peak (interestingly, Scanspeak is also offering the Illuminator with a magnesium cone). You would have to cross low to avoid this. The crossover in question crosses it at 2200Hz which I think is too high.
                                                                                        That remains to be seen... breakup nodes don't always directly correlate to peaks in the HD, particularly when the motor has a full faraday sleeve through the gap. Take the SB Acoustics SB17NRX35 for example - Full sleeve, large breakup, no sign of peaking in the HD sweeps. Ditto for the underhung Audio Technology 18H520613SD I tested. The Illuminator could be similar.
                                                                                        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• JonW
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 1585

#45
                                                                                          In some discussions about other stuff, I heard that Madisound just got in the 18's and the small tweeters. They should be for sale soon.
                                                                                          I was just looking for something else at Madisound and noticed that a few of the Illuminators are now listed for sale:
                                                                                          Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

So Zaph, might you be somewhat interested in testing a pair of the small tweeters if I sent them your way?

-Jon

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"