Introducing: the PET (or, this is pleasing to listen to)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

Introducing: the PET (or, this is pleasing to listen to)

Once I had these cabinets designed, I had all sorts of driver combinations I wanted to try. The VIC-20 was the first
    Ok, so I happen to have 7 Vifa D25 tweeters (it was 8, but the aluminum dome in one is damaged) that are in my "hand-me-down" definitive technology ht setup. Seeing as how I'm just about finished with my first ever DIY project, the excellent Natalie P's (I've just got to put the wipe on poly over the stain) I'd like

Next up is the PET: Scan-Speak 18W/8545K + BG Neo3 PDR.

I didn't put a whole lot of finesse into the crossover yet. I don't know how much I need to. They have a very pleasing sound "right out of the box," and go down easy for hours on end. As of now, they are crossed around 2500 Hz with 4LR slopes (or something like that).

The floorstanding cabinet is 22 Liters, vented. Obviously, this offers very satisfying bass from the Scan-Speaks. But it also works well sealed, with an F3 at 65 Hz or so. So a really cool combination would be to use this design in smaller 11 Liter cabinets with a good sealed sub to get the tightest bass possible.

This is my first experience spending real time listening to the BG Neo3 PDR. I have a variety of opinions on it, and I'm still trying to sort them out. I'm not sure if it had to "break in" a bit, or my ears had to break into it. But I can definitely hear that it is a low-distortion driver, and it plays any and all details on a recording. It does ride cymbals exceptionally well. It also has excellent horizontal-axis dispersion--or at least as good as I could ask in my own living room, because the sweet spot is HUGE.

I'd like more time to tweak the crossover, but already I could confidently endorse this project if anyone was interested.
    Now, if anyone was wondering why I didn't use the Usher 8945, well that driver isn't exactly cheap anymore. And for $50 more, I'd say why not just get the real thing? But if anyone wanted me to tweak the XO for the Usher, I wouldn't mind doing it if someone loaned me the driver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PET Preview.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	869412
    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 22:03 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url and image location
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site
  • ttan98
    • Mar 2007

I am glad you are now experimenting with high quality drivers rather than near budget or budget drivers(there is nothing wrong with them). Your past experience will assist you in designing a correct x-over for these drivers. In the end a great sounding pair of speakers.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"