X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • banditto1969
    • Sep 2008

Quick Question about Vacuum Presses

That I couldn't find the answer for with the search or on joewoodworking...

I am to make a pair of bookshelf speakers and am nearing the veneering portion. I decided to use a vacuum press being I am going to go with highly figured burly maple. The glue is Better Bond brand and the veneer has been flattened.

So my idea is to do one side at a time and put it in the press for 5-6 hours each side. I am using a vacuum pump at work which goes to -15inHG, is that low enough? Also should I have to keep the pump running the entire time? I used a check valve but it still seems to leak over time.

Oh and will applying a finish later soften up the Better Bond and make the veneer bubble?

Thanks in advance!
  • jbateman
    • May 2005

15in is marginal.
    Don't rely on the plastic bag to press the veneer down to the substrate...use a flat board, like melamine coated particle board, as a caul, to press on the veneer. Make it slightly oversized, and round the corners so it doesn't puncture the bag. (assuming your not making a curved box)

If the bag or valve leaks, you need to keep the pump running.
    And it only needs about an hour in the press...not 6.
    Solvents won't affect the glue once it's cured.

Comment

• banditto1969
      • Sep 2008

sweet thanks

Comment

• AlanH
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by banditto1969
        I am using a vacuum pump at work which goes to -15inHG, is that low enough? Also should I have to keep the pump running the entire time? I used a check valve but it still seems to leak over time.

Double check your gauge. Many gauges have a double scale in both psig (i.e., psi gauge) and inches of mercury. If the pump only gets to -15 inHg (i.e., -7 psig) there is either a leak in the system or it is in serious need of a rebuild.
        -Alan

There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Comment

• banditto1969
          • Sep 2008

Well it most likely is factory set to -15inHG, it's from a soot particulate meter used in diesel testing. I may have others back in storage but haven't looked. I figured the vacuum pump I had laying out would do the job being it is the size of a large microwave oven.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"