X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lookie
    • Oct 2008

Quartz surfaces as base for speakers / subwoofers

Hey,

I am working on a massive re-design for all house, and I wish to creat a "monster" super professional home theater.

They living room is quite large, and now there's a lot of echo's and stuff. before I am getting all the equipment I am first building a fresh new cupboards for the all the HT equipment (should hold the speakers, subwoofers, LCD, etc).

NOW - I wish to do it from Quartz slabs. there are any certain acoustic problems with it? I am getting it from a well known & senior brand named "Ceaserstone", but I am not familiar with attributes of their slabs - but please check their website, they writing a lot of their worktops - which should be the same material of the surface slabs I am wishing to work with.

Anyone had experience with quartz / marble / any other stone surfaces?

Thanks.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lookie
    I am first building a fresh new cupboards for the all the HT equipment (should hold the speakers, subwoofers, LCD, etc).

NOW - I wish to do it from Quartz slabs. .
    Not much need for anyone to check the website, people have been making speaker enclosures from exotic materials for decades. Some that come to mind are, 1" aluminum plate, 1/2" plate glass, granite, etc.

Let's see you're going to build the speaker cabinets themselves from a manufactured stone, then place those cabinets inside cupboards? Seems rather odd to go to all the labor and expense of using an exotic material, only to hide the cabinets away in a cupboard.

The things different about building from a manufactured stone are the obvious difficulty of fabrication (holes for drivers, holes for mounting screws, holes for input terminals) combined with the massive weight/load imposed on the cupboards due to the weight of the stone.

Other than that the acoustic properties of an enclosed stone box don't require much more consideration than a wooden one. So you'll treat the inside with an appropriate damping material to help attenuate the rearwave off the driver/drivers.

Plan on renting a fork lift if you build a subwoofer adequately sized for a large room.

BTW who's going to do the actual speaker design?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• lookie
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Not much need for anyone to check the website, people have been making speaker enclosures from exotic materials for decades. Some that come to mind are, 1" aluminum plate, 1/2" plate glass, granite, etc.

Let's see you're going to build the speaker cabinets themselves from a manufactured stone, then place those cabinets inside cupboards? Seems rather odd to go to all the labor and expense of using an exotic material, only to hide the cabinets away in a cupboard.

The things different about building from a manufactured stone are the obvious difficulty of fabrication (holes for drivers, holes for mounting screws, holes for input terminals) combined with the massive weight/load imposed on the cupboards due to the weight of the stone.

Other than that the acoustic properties of an enclosed stone box don't require much more consideration than a wooden one. So you'll treat the inside with an appropriate damping material to help attenuate the rearwave off the driver/drivers.

Plan on renting a fork lift if you build a subwoofer adequately sized for a large room.

BTW who's going to do the actual speaker design?
      Thanks a bunch!

I am gonna build a cupboard (probably wood) and the top surface of the cupboard will be the manufactured stone (the quartz slabs) - that will be the cabinets.

I am still have doubts: to put the speakers on it, or to make shelves from wood/stones special for the speakers?

Also I know stone is difficult for fabrication - but that's got to be it as part of the overall house design.

I am not sure yet about the speaker design, should it be harder because of the stone (also additionally to the cabinet - there's going to be more stone in the living room)

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

A stone surface won't make designing the loudspeaker itself more difficult, it will of course make fabricating the speaker more problematic.

When you say cupboard are you referring to a base cabinet that sits on the floor or a wall mounted cabinet? The reason I ask is you talk about having the top of the 'cupboard' done in stone. Normally the term 'cupboard' refers to a wall cabinet and the tops of those aren't usually visible.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• lookie
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
          A stone surface won't make designing the loudspeaker itself more difficult, it will of course make fabricating the speaker more problematic.

When you say cupboard are you referring to a base cabinet that sits on the floor or a wall mounted cabinet? The reason I ask is you talk about having the top of the 'cupboard' done in stone. Normally the term 'cupboard' refers to a wall cabinet and the tops of those aren't usually visible.
          Sorry. I meant to a base cabinet sits on the floor. :roll:
          Last edited by lookie; 27 October 2008, 04:45 Monday.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"